Chapter Twelve: Glorious Purpose.

Start from the beginning

By the time their orders are up, I have already eaten my burger and a good part of my fries, so I just sit there, watching and listening to them while they talk about the film.

"By the way, Clementine, your friend has totally kidnaped Chris. We are one Avenger short because of her!" Jeremy says playfully. Of course she didn't take him against his will and Chris already finished his scenes last week.

"Yeah! That girl has him completely whipped. I think it's adorable!" Scarlett adds.

"What can I say...? Ally has some amazing powers of her own and she is not afraid to use them." I laugh a little too excitedly. To be honest, I feel quite relieved to shift the conversation in another direction.

"I'm sure she does! And I don't think she is the only one. I know for a fact that we are about to lose another one. If we didn't, already."

Scarlett's words are like a giant iron fist traveling at the speed of light and crushing right on the pit of my stomach. The last bunch of potatoes that I was driving to my mouth, fall back into the plate when my fingers suddenly lose the ability to perform the pincer grasp. And they are not the only parts of my anatomy that are beginning to shut down. I can't seem to be able to breathe normally.

I tell myself that she is talking about someone else; she is probably referring to another cast member who is falling head over heels for another girl. She is not talking about me and Tom because she has no idea about me and Tom. Hell! I have no idea about us, as a matter of fact.

I decide to pretend I haven't heard a word she just said and I pick up the scattered fries. I try to finish them off but my stmach is still twisting inside my body.

"Really? Who?" Jeremy enquires.

Please, don't. Just stop!

"I'd rather have the right to preserve his identity, for the time being. Sorry, Jer." says Scarlett with a shrug.

Appealing to the Fifth Amendment! Thank you, Scar.

By the time they are done with their respective meals, the theme of conversation has stirred back into another subject and even though it took me about twenty minutes to recover from Scarlett's blow, I am now feeling a little more relaxed.

"I have to get going! I need to gear up. Hawkeye is being called upon. See you around, girls!" Jeremy leaves some bills on the counter and rushes off before we can even say goodbye.

"So! Walk with me to my trailer?" Scarlett stands up from her stool and grabs me by the hand, pulling me with her. She looks like she just can't wait to get the hell out of here. I have this terrifying feeling that she is about to corner me into a wall and force me to spill the beans about everything.

******

"So... you and Tom, uh?" Scarlett says as she intertwines her arm with mine, pulling me closer to her side. I roll my eyes and let out a weak sigh of resignation. As much as the idea of discussing Tom with her (or anyone, really) scares the hell out of me, I have to admit that it is actually nice to have someone to talk to. With Ally gone and justifiably absorbed in her own conquest, I don't really have another girl to share my feelings with.

"I don't know, Scarlett. It's all very recent right now. I have no idea what we are or where we are going with this." I say.

We are walking straight to her trailer so she is leading the way without letting me go from her grip. I am thankful for the fact that she is holding me because my legs are actually shaking right now. I know she knows something; something Tom told her at some point and, considering that things didn't get in motion until last night, I am rather curious about what it is that he said to her. Or when.