George's voice strained, "Please, Skeppy, imagine if Bad was out there, all alone and blaming himself for something he couldn't control. I need to find him."

Skeppy hesitated. "Okay, fine, but you need to be careful."

"I know," George replied and walked past Skeppy. He opened the door, grimacing as cold rain pelted his face and pulled his hood farther forward. Running through the rain and mud, George made it to the stables.

He picked a random gelding and saddled the horse. George really hoped that the horse wouldn't kick him off and gallop away into the storm. Throughout the entire process of tacking the gelding up, George's hands wouldn't stop trembling and George repeatedly cursed at himself.

After what seemed like forever, he got the bit in the horse's mouth and the bridle over his ears. George mounted the patient gelding, who skittered a couple of steps when thunder echoed in the stable.

Nervous whinnies sounded throughout the stable aisle and George left the stable, galloping into the rain. His hood was torn back and his dark cloak flew behind him in the wind. He winced as he was immediately drenched.

The rain made the reins slippery and George had to hold on tight to keep hold of the gelding, who was spooking at every flash of lightning and every crack of thunder.

"Dream!" he shouted, but his voice was sucked away by the wind, barely even heard by him.

Mud kicked up from under the horse's hooves, splattering the gelding's stomach with brown which was immediately washed away by the rain, only to be coated in mud again.

Trees shook and leaves were ripped off as George circled the entire property of their base, shouting, "Dream! Where are you?!"

But there was never an answer.

George's hands trembled as he struggled to think. He stopped the gelding, wondering where on earth Dream could be. And then he remembered.

Beautiful wings and smooth petals. A gentle smile with even gentler hands. A white mask being torn off and beautiful eyes revealed. Treetops and a star covered sky. George couldn't forget those cheesy pickup lines.

He knew exactly where Dream was.

His chest filled with hope and he urged the gelding back into a gallop, steering him away from the base. The horse's ears were flat against his head as he huffed in the rain. Cold water and frigid wind made George shiver in the cold as he held on for his life.

Hoofbeats pounded below him, making suctioning sounds in the mud and puddles. Soon they were on a familiar path with familiar trees. He turned the horse into a recognizable clearing and shouted, "Dream!?"

"Dream, I'm here! Where are you?!" George shouted, his voice growing hoarse.

He saw a familiar white flash of fur, which was now caked with mud and rain. Spirit.

She was galloping towards George, her eyes wide in terror. The horse flinched at every branch torn her way.

But she was without a rider.

And George's heart dropped.

Spirit ran right up to him, neighing as she turned around again, galloping off. George followed her, hoping Spirit wasn't taking him on a random path. Eventually she stopped, her nose dropping to nudge something.

George jumped off his gelding, who ran off into the storm without thinking twice. George didn't care about the horse as he stumbled to the figure, his boots darkening in the mud. He dropped to his knees and pushed a shoulder over.

"Dream?" George whispered, his voice shaking as he took Dream's muddy face in his hands.

Water dripped from his face, both rain and tears. George shook Dream's shoulders and shouted, "Get up! Dream, we need to get out of here, it's too cold!"

But Dream was unconscious. George looked around wildly for a solution, only finding Spirit, standing several feet away.

"Spirit," he croaked out and stumbled to his feet, taking her saddle off.

He ignored how his hands shook and lifted Dream from under his arms, grunting as he pulled him. Spirit walked over, standing still as George struggled to get Dream up.

Eventually, George got Dream up, but he was laying across Spirit's back. George grabbed the mane on Spirit's withers and pulled himself up, keeping Dream in front of him.

"Take us home," George choked out and Spirit immediately moved. George had no idea where they were, so he just let Spirit take them.

His chin was tucked to his chest and his hood was pulled over his head as he tried, and failed, to stay semi-dry. George clung onto Dream, holding him close so he wouldn't fall. All he could do was hope that Spirit knew where she was going.

When they approached a cave entrance, George's shoulders slumped in relief. He didn't care that they weren't home, a cave would do just fine. And when he studied it more, he realized that it was the same one from when they were being chased down.

Spirit led them in and George jumped down, pulling Dream down seconds later. George's whole body shook from the cold, but he ignored it and bent down to listen to Dream's heart. There was a pulse, barely.

George sobbed in relief and kissed Dream's forehead shakily. Taking deep breaths, his eyes snagged on a pack in the corner of the cave. He sighed in relief and hurried towards it, opening it with no hesitation. It was the pack they had brought to the secluded clearing all those months ago.

Dream had brought his own pack for them. That night hadn't been cold, so they never used it, but inside the pack was a blanket. He took off his wet clothes and put them in the back of the cave, where they would slowly dry. He took off Dream's wet clothes as well and did the same. After huddling up next to Dream, he pulled the quilt over them.

Trembling, he hugged Dream tightly, hoping, wishing, praying, that Dream would be okay. As he shivered, his eyes met Horse's in the back of the cave. The horse gave her head a shake and huffed. George winced as more thunder echoed dully from outside.

Screwing his eyes shut, he snuggled close to Dream and sighed. Sleep only consumed him when the tremors finally stopped and his heart quieted.

---------

a/n - happy early halloween! I can't publish tomorrow, so you can have it today. sorry about the wait for the chapter, but this one seemed kind of fitting to have in the spirit of halloween. I hope you enjoyed

uncontrollable shaking is a side affect of head trauma btw

ILY <3