chapter 32

Chris’s point of view

“You sure we can’t make you reconsider? Maybe, with the sergeant position?” Mark Corbin, the chief of police says, trying to persuade me in Changing my mind.

Unfortunately for him, I’ve thought long and hard about this and I’ve already made up my mind, indefinitely.

“I appreciate the offer Mr Corbin, but I must decline. I have a lot of...dreams I wish to complete now that I have the chance” I say.

I’ve got plans to make things official with Elizabeth and I plan to do that on a very special day before we reach a very special place.

“What a shame, but I do understand. Your services will be missed here” he says, getting up and extending his hand “It was great working with you detective”

I get up and take his hand into a firm handshake, smiling slightly at his wide smile.

I nod at him before I head for the door to leave, nearly bumping into Selena who is probably rushing to get somewhere.

“You and douchebag are really leaving huh?” she asks, standing right in front of me with my back pressed against the door.

“Yeah. We think it’s for the best. Honestly, I can’t look at this place the same way anymore. My heart isn’t he-

“It’s with Elizabeth” she cuts me off.

“Yes, it is” I answer honestly “after what happened with her, I don’t want her out of my sight anymore”

The thought of not seeing Elizabeth even for one day bothers me so much. I woke up this morning to an empty bed and the fear that took over me was indescribable. It’s only when she walked into the room with a tray full of plates with food did I calm down.

The feeling that I got when I didn’t see her is enough indication of just how my mental state is. I know that I need to talk to someone per police procedures and policies but I’m not a detective anymore so I’m not obligated to.

“I understand that. It’s pretty clear just how much you love her. She’s a very lucky woman” she says before she hugs me “I’m going to miss you so much Chris, and thank you for the recommendation. My next detective test will be reviewed by the DA’s office. Thank you so much”

Selena is a great police officer and I know that she’ll definitely make a great detective. Despite the law of using logic and reason with this line of work, I know that Selena will abide by the law but will not let it cloud her judgement. She’s one of the good ones.

“You deserve it more than most people here Jamison. It’s really hard for young people to get detective positions despite how much we are good at it. So if I can help someone else showcase their talent by stopping bad guys, I’m definitely not going to hold back” I say, pulling away from the hug “You’ll do great Selena, I just know it” I pat her on her right shoulder and walk away.

I’m walking away from the one thing I’ve wanted to do my whole life. I’m walking away from the life I expected to live for as long as there was breath in my lungs. I’m walking away from the one thing that made me who I am today. But I’m walking away and into something better.

This is a chance to finally be someone better. With someone better. I deserve this. I deserve to be happy with the woman I love, not the woman of my dreams because the one in my dreams doesn’t compare to the one I’ve got in reality.

The one I’ll treasure for the rest of my life.

I secretly place the luggage in the trunk of my car and close it quickly when I notice Elizabeth approach the car, a sad expression on her face.