chapter 20

Chris’s point of view

“What the fuck do you think you’re doing Linda?” I shout as I bust into her office. “You’re making a mistake and you know it” I say, my voice trembling with anger.

I can’t believe that she actually went through with her threat. She’s as spineless as she is deceiving.

“I make no mistakes Chris. I told you that she is guilty and look at that, the murder weapon winds up at the murder scene, in her belongings...how convenient” she says, her voice filled with pleasure as she smirks at me.

“Elizabeth is innocent and you and I both know it” I say, trying to get to her.

“Look here Chris, I get it that she has you wrapped around her vagina, but just because she’s sucking you off doesn’t mean that all of us have forgotten the real reason why we’re here” she says as she takes her seat. Her choice of words piss me off to the brim but I don’t show it.

“Linda pl-

“It’s chief Phobes to you. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got a case to close” she says dismissively, smiling as though she’s won the lottery.

Well, she better get that smile off her face because I am not giving up so easy.

I leave her office and head for the holding cell which they’ve got Elizabeth in and see her sitting on the bench with her head in her hands and her shoulders shaking.

She’s crying. She’s crying and I can’t do anything about it. I’ve failed her. I’ve failed the woman I love.

6 hours earlier

“I have no idea how you can eat so much chocolate and not cringe” I say to Elizabeth, cringing myself as she shoves a spoonful of chocolate cake into her mouth.

She gives me a toothy smile, bits and pieces of cake stuck between her teeth making them brown.

“You’re disgusting” I say, mock gagging which makes her laugh. The sound of her laughter always makes me happy. Makes me feel as though I’ve accomplished the greatest task in life.

“Chocolate cake is life. I don’t know how I even talk to you when red velvet cake is your favourite. We’re such opposites” she says as she scoops up another spoonful of cake and tries to feed it to me “Open up you big baby”

“No thank you. Nataka kuishi maisha marefu” (I want to live a long life) I say, knowing well that she can’t understand me.

“Você fala suaíli sabendo bem que não consigo te entender” (You speak Swahili knowing full well that I can’t understand you” she counters back in Portuguese.

I burst out laughing. We usually have these banters where we both speak in our native languages, knowing full well that we both won’t understand each other which usually leads to outbursts of laughter from the both of us.

“I didn’t understand a word you said but damn girl” I say in a mocking masculine voice “Did you want me to do the dishes or something?” I continue, making the both of us laugh.

“ugh, I can’t with you” she says as she gets up from the couch and heads for the kitchen to put the plate in the sink.

It’s weird how I know every corner of her apartment as though it is my own and it hasn’t even been a month since she moved back here and bought this place.

“I’m so full right now” she says as she plants her self face first on the couch, her face somehow landing right on my...

“Shit, I’m sorry” Elizabeth says as I write on the couch with my hands covering my probably broken groin.