Chapter 24: The End Of An Era

I arrived back at a deserted Hentu base. I ran through the hallways trying to find some clue as to what happened here. I found a note.

                Kate- “Chris, we rallied at the Siege stronghold that Jack was at after you rescued him. Our scouts have spotted the invasion force on the north edge of the continent. It’s time, Chris.”

                I rushed out of the door, activating my TDD as to not waste time. I arrived at the base, but I was too late. The tower had been leveled and nobody could have survived. In a raging inferno of energy, I summoned a time bubble that started reversing time around me. Enraged but still conscious, I looked around at the building. I saw the Omega army float right over the rubble, then I saw the building start to be put back together.

                As it was being rebuilt, I noted that this might be my last fight; my last moment with the team that I had grown so close and attached to. I never showed any kind of compassion, but how could I have? I needed to be cold and calculating. I was watching the last of the Omegas pull out and the building was finished. I watched the Omegas go down the horizon, and Siege guards start running backwards out of the building. A tear rolled down my cheek as I saw Kate. I need to get her out of here.

                I came out of the time field in the right time; I made it. I ran over to Kate and warner her about what I had just seen.

                “It doesn’t matter, I’m going to serve the Hentus until the end no matter what. How much time do we have?”

                -Less than five minutes. They completely overwhelm us. The first of the blasts will take down our defenses and then the last few will topple the building.

                “Maybe we still have a chance with that satellite. Did you get it working?”

                -I will activate it here in about two minutes.

                “That’s cutting it a little close.”

                She ordered everyone inside and we all ran inside. I went up to Jack’s office and he was standing at the window.

                “I suppose you know that we will die here today?”

                -Not if there is a chance to live, we won’t.

                “What chance do we have? We have less than three minutes until the start coming up that horizon, and then less than five before they level the building.”

                -Not if I use the satellite laser that I just activated.

                My HUD displayed the ready button and I went to the roof to activate the interface ship. As before, an energy field surrounded me and lifted me into the air, then a physical shell surrounded me. The ship’s display activated and I set the beam to continuous mode and sat at the ready on top of the building.

                “TERANORS!!!”

                I heard someone yell. I activated the laser and it cut right through their armor like butter. I kept a close eye on the energy gauge as I guided the laser tower across the army. The energy was running low so I hovered down to the ground level and finished the rest of the energy off. The ship dissolved around me and I landed on the ground. Jack came onto the intercom.

                “Chris, run interference from up here!”

                I ran through the firefight into the tower and used my charge jump to quickly ascend the building up to the thirty fourth floor. I manned one of the Gatling Cannons and started firing at the Omegas. Each shot that was fired was specifically designed for piercing an Omega’s armor. As they were exploding one at a time, I heard something explode inside the building. I activated my TDD and jumped down to the ground level. It was the Scout that escaped the Hentus. It saw me and ran outside where it then shot at the entrance, destroying it and stopping me from following it. I then blasted a hole in another wall and followed it outside the fighting area. I activated my Sniper Rifle, aimed, and shot it stone dead. At that point, all I saw was the building being leveled. The scout drove me away from the fight to keep me away from saving the people inside the building.

                I activated another reverse time field, this time with considerably less energy. I saw the building being built, and this time I saw the Teranor running backwards toward the building and going inside. I waited until I saw myself blast a hole out in the wall, then I waited until the wall blasted out and I ran outside to slip back in. This time, I’m going to do it right. I jumped up to where Jack and Kate were. I grabbed Kate first.

                “What are you doing??!”

                -Saving your life, you will thank me later.

                I dropped her off quite a ways away from the building as it collapsed again in the background.

                “WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU??! YOU DECIDED TO SAVE ME INSTEADOF JACK??? WHY?”

                -If I’m right, I can save both of you, now stay here, I’ll be right back.

                I activated another reverse time field. This time I waited until I saw myself falling down the shaft of the building until I exited. I then entered the building, slowed time so it didn’t collapse on top of me, grabbed Jack, and jumped down. I then exited the building again and dropped Jack off where I left Kate. I saw myself, nodded to myself, and he left.

                -There, you see? I saved both of yo-

                I got pulled back into time and I was inside the building. I saw myself lying on the floor, critically wounded. I saw more of me scattered around the room.

                -What happened?

                He pointed up towards the top of the building as it started collapsing on top of me. I felt a heaving weight hit my head as I blacked out.

-------------------------------------------- The End ------------------------------------------