(18. We've got a bomb)

Start from the beginning

Antonio and Voight were in charge of interrogating Coach Sanders while Jay and I were bringing Ethan in and getting ready to interrogate him. Coach Sanders was released but then found himself face to face with Ethan when we were bringing him upstairs.

"Ethan, why are you doing this! Leave me alone!" Sanders began almost shouting at Ethan, both Jay and I paid close attention to the interaction between them and noticed Ethan getting highly uncomfortable.

"Kev, get him out of there," I told Atwater who was escorting Sander's out.

Once we got upstairs with Ethan, Jay wanted to be the one to interrogate him, even though he didn't say, I could tell Jay wanted to give it a shot due to the fact that we had recently found out Ethan's dad had passed away while serving.

I stayed and watched as Jay interrogated Ethan. It was completely understandable Ethan wasn't that keen on talking or trusting anyone for that matter but with the right words, Jay was slowly getting close to breaking through the barrier Ethan had put up. Just as he was about to talk though his mother arrived and the barrier was back up in seconds.

Jay and I left the interrogation room and I could tell he was frustrated. "Hey, you'll get through to him again." I rubbed his arm.

"Yeah." He said rolling his eyes at me and proceeding to walk away.

"Hey, don't take this out on me." I quickly stopped him and told him calmly.

"Can't you just leave me alone! You won't even let me breathe for even a second!" He raised his voice at me charging towards me and stopping right in front of me.

I scoffed putting on a hurt smile. "Gladly, I'm so sorry for suffocating you." I walked past him hitting his shoulder.

I heard him sigh behind me as I walked back to my desk.

______

We were back out in search of another suspect involved in the case now, Jessie. We had figured out Colin's death had in fact not been a suicide but a murder instead. We drove to a train station where Mouse was keeping an eye on Jessie through security cameras.

Once we got there Jessie noticed our presence fairly quickly and began to make a run for it. Jay and Adam began chasing up the stairs after him while the rest of us scattered looking for other ways he could try to escape.

After a couple of minutes we heard back from Jay, he told us that Jessie had jumped from a train onto the opposite tracks where he was hit by an oncoming train.

Now the only lead we had was dead, except Sanders didn't know this and we were going to use this to get him to talk.

We headed back to the office where Sanders was waiting in the interrogation room waiting for a detective to walk in after Adam and Alvin had arrested him at a family barbecue.

"Let me do this Sarge." Jay aggressively volunteered himself.

Voight discretely turned to look at me and I shook my head in disapproval.

"I'm sorry Jay, no, you're too close to this." He stopped him. "You can watch." He instead suggested and Jay shrugged defeated.

We all watched as Voight began interrogating Sanders, telling him Jessie was talking and Sanders was probably gonna be charged for everything. Finally after pushing and pushing Sanders began talking and we now had enough to make an arrest and take it to court.

I watched as Jay's muscles visibly relaxed in relief. Although I was hurt by what Jay had said earlier I patted his back in a supportive gesture before walking away.

_____

I didn't want to stay home tonight so instead, I got dressed and decided to head out to Molly's. To make myself feel a little better I decided to dress up nicely, for myself.

I arrived at Molly's and it was pretty packed as always

I arrived at Molly's and it was pretty packed as always. "Get over here!" I heard Kelly yell at me from a stool at the bar.

I smiled and headed over. "Hey." I greeted him giving him a hug and he gave me a kiss on the cheek.

"You look gorgeous, Where's Jay?" He asked me while gesturing to Otis for another beer.

"Ugh, I don't know, we kind of fought, I think he needs some space so I decided to come here." I shrugged.

"Well, I'm glad you did, I've missed you." He said putting his arm around my shoulder and giving me a side hug.

"I've missed you too, how's work?" We began chatting.

We had been chatting for a while when my phone started ringing. 'Jay💍' read the name on my phone, the way Jay had saved it.

"Give me a sec," I told Kelly walking outside quickly to pick up. "Hey?" I answered.

"Hey, where are you?" He asked me.

"Uhmm, I'm at Molly's having a drink with the guys, wanted to give you some space to breathe," I replied adding a slightly offended tone at the end.

"Can you come back to yours please?" he asked me.

I thought about it for a second. "Ok, yeah, I'll be there in 20 minutes," I told him hanging up and going back inside to say goodbye to Kelly.

Since I knew I was drinking I hadn't brought my car so I took a cab home. I arrived, paid the driver, and headed upstairs.

I was in the process of unlocking the door when Jay opened the door and I was surprised to see him in a suit. "Hey." He smiled.

"What is this?" I asked confused as I walked in to then see Jay had prepared dinner and laid out candles and flowers on the dining room table.

"Our date, I know it's not what you had in mind but I tried making a reservation at Steak 48 in Wabash but they were all booked," Jay explained.

"And at any point are you planning on talking about what happened today at work?" I didn't want to let him down easy. "Because if not I'm heading back to the bar," I told him honestly.

He looked down at his feet. "Yeah, I just couldn't find the right words. Uhm, I'm sorry I hurt you. I've never been good at handling cases that hit close to home and I guess I usually do it alone, so when you were there...being there for me... I sort of panicked." He talked to me.

I placed my hand on his cheek. "Jay, I get that but I need you to understand that I need you to talk to me." I sat down on the couch behind me. "Look, most of the time I'm more scared of losing you to yourself than to work. If this is going to work you need to know that I'm here through thick and thin and that means showing each other our weaknesses and strengths equally."

He squatted down in front of me. "Yeah, you're right, I'm sorry. I will try to do better." He apologized. "I love you." he then said lifting my chin up and looking up at me.

"I love you too, and I'm sorry if I'm a little overbearing sometimes." I finally gave him a smile.

"No you're not." he leaned forward to hug me.

I then sat on the dinner table while Jay brought in the dishes he had prepared, from entrés to dessert. He told me about chatting with Ethan after the case was over and opened up a little more about how this case hit him a little harder. At the end of the night, Jay and I were laughing loudly, mostly due to the two bottles of wine we had finished but it was good to know we were in a better place.