Chapter 36 - Two on One

Start from the beginning

The only reason not to Consolidate right now is that I might lose strength which is the main thing that I want to gain in. so it would be a bad idea to do this if there is even a chance of it happening. Resh considered this for a moment and then decided that it was better to wait, it was too much of a risk at this stage to recklessly Consolidate. It knew that when starting at a larger size it had not lost strength. So, maybe a little more was not out of the question? Perhaps it was time to start hunting in the dirt for prey since it had not gained any experience yet. Levelling up would grant gains as well. Time to hunt! Nothing too big though. I am new to this underground stuff.

Fins and Flippers as well as Strong Insectoid Wings were less than useless underground. There was no point in trying them Resh already knew. The only tools it had in its arsenal at the moment were its Strong Legs of the Squitter or more specifically, the paws of the Squitter to do the heavy lifting of the soil. As before it was an imperfect solution and Resh resolved to gain some traits of underground creatures to help it move faster. The 50% Affinity with Earth that Resh had gained did help somewhat but not nearly enough to make the experience enjoyable. Resh shored up its resolve knowing what was ahead.

Paws dragging through the mud Resh carved a pathway directly away from the river, underground heading for the trees lining the river. This would be the best bet for finding underground creatures. None of them was keen on nesting too close to the river bed in case the water seeped into their burrows.

So, unsurprisingly, the first thing Resh encountered was a Grole den. Inside were two larger Adult Groles and seven smaller Juvenile Groles. The last time Resh had encountered these creatures there had been only one of the larger ones and it had chased it up a tree. Resh proceeded with the appropriate amount of caution. I am not going to take any chances with this Resh thought. Easing its way in Resh allowed its body to move into the den, there was barely enough space for Resh to squeeze its bulk in. The Adult Groles were on high alert. They shepherded their brood away from the mysterious oozing fluid that had entered from the back of their den. Once their young were away from Resh and they crouched between the intruding threat and their young they visible readied for the fight. It was clear what their priorities were. Resh manifested its primary melee weapons, Slime Club, Poison Jaws, Dual Wormtail's Stab and Tail Pole Smash. It had enough Volume to use all of them at once, another good reason not to Consolidate too quickly. With poison damage and Water and Earth damage available to it with these weapons, it did not even need Sonic Boom or Water Gun. It used them anyway.

In rapid succession, both spells slammed into the unsuspecting Groles. They have still been holding back as if to see if this could be concluded without needing to fight. Resh had no such reservations as it unloaded everything it had on these enemies. The field of battle was close and confined so there was little chance of missing with any ranged attacks. Sonic Boom hit the one on the left and Water Gun hit the other. Both recoiled from the damage before righting themselves, the left a little slower to regain its feet. As one they charged for the amorphous blob in their midst. Claws outstretched they raked at Resh with abandon, no thought was given for their safety only the lives of their young. In their small beady eyes, both would sacrifice themselves to take this monster down. Resh took a moment to angle its weapons for maximum effect and then plunged them into the fast-approaching Groles.

Tail Pole Smash hit the Adult Grole on the right first. It was half a step ahead of the one on the left. It sheared off a few HP from it, just a glancing blow. The hurt Grole countered with a claw through Resh's body, damaging it and severing part of the staff weapon Resh was using along with a chunk of health. The next exchange was the Dual Wormtail's Stab a sharp thrust into the left Adult Grole a hair slower than the first clash. Resh had to switch its attention quickly between the two foes to meet the exchange. But the stab just halted at the Adult Groles thick skin unable to pierce it. Some damage was taken but Resh's Wormtail bent and slid to the side.

By this point, the one on the right had moved further in and was going for a slash at the right side of Resh's gaping mouth and Slime Club came up to meet the blow and counter. Sliding into place in time to stop serious injury but a chunk of Slime Club fell off and disintegrated into the soil at Resh's feet. Resh roared with its open mouth and stunned the Groles momentarily with the volume of the noise before they staggered back into the action. So far both Groles were down only a third of their health but looking worse for wear. Meanwhile, Resh had chunks of slime flying off and was deeply regretting sliding headfirst into this melee. Should have snuck up on them and gained the bonus from Sneak. Too late to think about that now though.

The only melee weapon that Resh hadn't used yet was also its most powerful, Poisonous Jaws. Resh planned to use the skill to great effect. Biting down on the right arm of the left Grole, Resh heard it howl in pain. Resh tried to poison it but it didn't take. As soon as Resh opened its jaw the Grole was clawing at Resh's mouth. Both with bleeding wounds and staggering a little from the health loss attacked Resh.

From the charge to the final bite the exchange had taken no more than a second or two. Its spells had not had a chance to recover yet but Resh did not have a cooldown on its melee weapons, that was only limited to how quickly it could swing its weapons. Resh had already readied its Wormtail's Stab and Tail Pole Smash again. The two Adult Groles with their uncoordinated movements had ended up together in the middle of Resh's embrace, surrounded by Resh's arsenal, the slime had attacked them from the sides to force them together so that it could surround them and continue to attack from all sides. All four melee weapons slammed down once and then again. All the while Resh received cuts and slashed from the panicking and wild Groles. Their attacks grew more desperate even as they became weaker.

With the final bite, Resh injected poison into the one on the right. Resh was close enough to notice a patch of white fur on its head. Now they were both down to about a third of their health left. Resh would not let them escape. This was its chance. Having bitten off a chunk of its arm, Resh puckered its mouth and shot that piece straight back out at the Adult Grole.

You have gained the Ranged Skill Slingshot Level 1!

You have gained the Ranged Stat Dexterity +10!

Woah! Did I just get a ranged skill? That was so easy! This is going to be great! Resh began taking clods of dirt and firing them out of its mouth straight at the Adult Groles. Both were hit consecutively with 2 shots each. Small injuries but kept them on the back foot for a while. Resh then slammed melee weapons into them again. Rearing back Resh prepared to get them again. White patch was nearly dead and the other not far behind. Another exchange of strikes and White Patch succumbed to poison damage. The remaining Adult Grole didn't last long under the flurry of blows that Resh was able to dish out.