Perfect from Faraway

Before you begin you must know that is this an auspicious projection into the distant future. I have curated a wonderful collection of daydreams that make up this prompt–they are only desperate hopes and wants–not reality.

I wake up at around 5:45am, lazily reaching for the alarm on my phone, careful not to disrupt whatever rendition of paradise you're in.

This is mine, and although I do not entirely feel comfortable admitting that to myself, I know it must be.

We are both constantly at it; always reviewing some new case with an incredible amount of vigor. It makes me feel alive, it gives me a sense of purpose. I fall comfortably into that kind of world, the one that bends and breaks others, but raises the ambitious up with them. If you're not careful you can slip into that formidable trap of desire and greed. I almost did, but you stopped me.

You see, you actually sort of madden me in a way. It's almost impossible to explain without some sort of metaphorical allegory to go along with it, but to sum it up briefly, you've taken me.

You've stolen a part of myself that I will never recover again. It's dangerous, being in love with someone. You're constantly stepping around that pit, circling around it like vultures in the midst of a storm. You're waiting for something to push you over the edge, but sometimes, it doesn't.

Eventually you get used to that feeling, and of course love blinds you from that impending drop. That's what gets a lot of people in trouble, that's what causes others to fall into that pit and come back. They let themselves get stuck down there, consensually trapped in what could have been.

I don't allow myself to get stuck on things–at least not anymore. It was tearing me apart, and loving someone is no different. I was lacking, and what a terrible intrusion on one's potential.

I've learned balance now. It was perhaps the most enduring lesson of them all.

But regardless of my laments, I've got you now. I've got the large rectangular house of glass in the middle of the forest, I've got the red M2 staring back at me, and I've got the most wonderful projection in front of myself.

There is still more to gain, of course, but I've accomplished everything I've ever wanted to.

I'm in love with the world and what I can give it, and I would never let myself down again.