CHAPTER 21: SANITY'S BRINK

"See ya, buds!" Amelia and Gura waves to the two other girls, grinning wide. Turning back to each other, they exchange glances as their smiles eventually melt into genuine pure adoration for each other.

Walking down the dark streets, Ina ponders over the answer to Calli's problem. Her fingers fiddle with each other. Her eyes glue onto the ground. Her skin prickles with cold sweat tracing her arms and face.

"Ina," after a long while of letting Ina stew in her thoughts, Calli finally broke the silence. "You're pretty quiet."

Stopping from under a lamppost, she looks down at her feet, hearing nothing but AO-chan's voices ringing in her ear.

'You've really dug into your own grave now.'

'Face it, Calli has made you miserable since you've met her.'

'You need to end this nonsense soon or else--'

"Why--" Gulping down, she tries to ignore the voices, "Why do you want my help? I-Is it because you think I'm experienced in relationships-- Which I'm not-!" She struggles for words, shuffling the dust on the floor as she drags her foot through the path.

"No, it's not that." Stopping, Calli glances over shyly, "You're the closest... I mean, it's not like I don't like the other girls-! I've just spent more time with you."

Ina makes an 'O' shape with her mouth, blinking slowly. Her lips curl into a small smille, giddy for a moment. However, the topic of conversation soon dawns on her.

"I trust you and you seem like you're close to Kiara so... I wanted an opinion."

"Oh..." scratching the back of her neck, Ina glances up to Calli pensively, "I-I... I think you guys were almost made for each other." With a monotone voice, she speaks the words she said to Kiara. "You guys fit so well, it's almost a joke."

"Is that how you think of us?" Calli sighs, shuffling her feet awkwardly. "Honestly... I never thought of her that way."

"Huh?" Quizzically, Ina stares into her eyes. While a little part of her was happy, the most of her was confused. They were so perfect that it seemed like every star aligned just for them... but Calli looked at the ground instead. "You guys hang out a lot. You're telling me you've never thought about her that way?"

Calli scoffs, chuckling, "That's stupid. I mean, that's like saying because you and I hang out a lot that I--" Taking a breath, she looks at Ina'nis, inspecting her for a moment. Shaking her head, she waves her hand off, "Nevermind but I really haven't thought of Kiara like that. She's always just been kusotori to me."

A small smile tugs at the corner of her lip, "More like... kusatori."

"Ina, oh my gosh." Calli drags her hand down her face, "That was so dumb!" She laughs heartily, failing to contain it even with her cupped palm.

"You're laughing!"

"Because it's idiotic!"

The two laugh, soon bubbling into small giggles and dissipating into panting breath.

Calli nudges her, "So uh, you and Enma?"

Ina blinks, remembering how attached she was to her at the karaoke hang out. "Yeah- uh- what about her?" Apprehensively, she scratches her neck shyly.

"Do you-" Calli clears her thoughts, sucking in air through her gripped teeth, "Like her? I mean, you two hang out a lot."

"You were just saying that logic need not apply."

"Well, it's your way of thinking so I thought that there had to be a reason as to why you thought that way, y'know?" She smiles lopsidedly, nudging her teasingly. "So, Enma?"