CHAPTER 14: TO THE BRIM

The whole day was… awkward to say the least. While Ina and Calli were by no means angry with each other, the two were plagued with several thoughts about their hangout after school. The girls felt it too, with their awkward laughter and stiff movement upon seeing each other. They would regard each other formally, formulating long redundant sentences when asking about their days. 

Though, Ina had more pressing matters. 

In her head, she felt AO-chan stir. Usually they'd be quiet, only speaking in times of need (after Ina's mental wellbeing became increasingly worse from their chattering.) However, right now they were in deep conversation with concerns in regards to Calli.

'We first thought that Calliope was a trustworthy person,' exclaimed the several deities, 'but her little effort towards improving her reputation is quite callous. It could even affect yours. Observe, it already has.' 

Certain reapers eyed her with a cautious eye, scanning her up and down with a scoff. They snubbed her, smirking to their friends with a mischievous glint in their eye.

"You've got a point but…" But what? Ina was really making excuses for Calli. While it is true that Calli was not directly at fault for Ina's injuries, she played a part in it. Why didn't she try to be the nice girl she really was? Rather, why did Ina not blame her even just a little bit? 

"I think Calli has the capacity to do something great but obviously it takes some steps to do so."

'Do not kid yourself, Ina'nis. You know full well that under usual circumstances you wouldn't fall for… this.' 

Their voice soon faded as Ina reached the door to the exit of the school, inhaling a deep breath. On the other side of the door, would be the girls. They'd be there. Calli too. She would have to face Calli and really talk to her.

"Hey, guys." Ina meekly speaks, avoiding Calli's gaze. She hands fold over each other, clutching it in comfort. 

Kiara chirped up, mid-wave to Gura and Amelia. "Inaaa! Wanna walk together? We could-"

"Well-!"

"Actually-!" Calli and Ina look at each other for the first time, realising they both were thinking about the same thing. Calli then took the lead, continuing, "Me and Ina'nis have something to talk about." She smiles weakly, playing with the colourful sleeves of her jacket. 

Ina twitched. The sound of Calli naming her so formally irked her. Maybe she really did something to fuck something up?

"Oh?" Kiara glanced between the two of them, feeling the strange energy emitting, "Well- whatever it is- I hope you guys make up!" She hops towards Calli, smothering her in a bone crushing hug. Her arms pull the taller girl close, putting zero distance between the two of them.

"Hey-! Get off! We're not even arguing!"

"So mean! Why don't you like my hugs?!"

"It's not that! It's just-" 

The small girl couldn't help but look at the two of them. Despite Calli's protests and Kiara's retorts, the two had a nice synergy. Everything felt natural between them. An immortal phoenix and an everlasting concept of death. It was baffling how someone could've made such a perfect pair.

When the girl looked up, she felt herself practically pushed down by a warm body. The person wrapped her arms around her waist tightly but not so much that they were completely touching. "Kiara?"

"Feel better, buddy!" She speaks speedily, pulling away as quickly as she came to Ina. With a pat on her shoulders, she stepped back. Soon, Kiara parted, waving enthusiastically as she went on her jolly way.