CHAPTER 15: BROKEN DAMS

Calli and Ina walk for hours. They chat about the fun stuff, the weird events and sorrowful happenings. It was nice to have a person that you could equally have fun with and talk seriously to. It was an odd sort of comfort from the Grim Reaper.

"It's an odd thing. People seem to think we're killers. We're just… debt collectors."

"In the human world, those people are still viewed horribly," Ina chuckles, nudging her a bit as she laughs too. 

"Yeah but," she kicks a can ahead, hitting a bin nearby, "I never wanted to take a life yet I have to. So if I have to, I'll make sure it's the most peaceful death I can give them."

Ina blinks, watching Calli as she picks up the can and various pieces of trash into the bin. She sheepishly smiles, "You said something like that before."

Calli hums, "Hm?" Questioningly, she leans toward her with a raised brow.

"I mean, you said how Grim Reapers were never made for intimidation, rather comfort to lead them to a good death."

"Eu thanatos. It's our motto." 

"Memento Mori should be it instead," they laugh together, walking down the hills from the cafe. It wasn't too much of a walk but their paces were slowed and their actions were drawn out. It was obvious they wanted to spend more time together. 

Her hand twitches, feeling Calli's hand brush by her. "Oh- sorry-"

"Nah, it's good." Calli waved it off. Her head pointed ahead, watching the roads come closer and closer and the two walked together. The blood red sky painted Calli's hair darker, accentuating her pink locks in a bloody display. Something people saw so often in her. As the sky faded into its purple-blue hue, it put Calli in a spotlight of cold isolation: Something Ina thought was more accurate of the girl.

She felt her hand itch. Ina couldn't feel more helpless in this situation. However, in her head yelled a certain 'it's not a crime to be selfless' chant. Soon enough, Ina found herself urging her hand against Calli's intertwining their hands together.

"Ina?" Calli stopped in her tracks, not letting go but not reciprocating her grip. Her eyes flicker down to their hands, cheeks dusting with pink.

As the dark clouds rolled over, letting through the moonlight, Ina gave a shy smile, "You don't mind? Sorry, I just felt a little lonely." 

A beat passes, Calli seemingly frozen until she presses the same pressure against Ina's hand. Her lips curl into a shy, awkward smile of her own, "No. It's good. I think a thing or two about being lonely." 

"Hopefully… not so much anymore?" Ina laughs deprecatingly, thinking that it was burdensome and weird to consider herself a reason for Calli not being alone anymore. Of course, she was lonely. Everyone can be lonely. Even with the best of friends.

In surprise, Calli squeezes her hand, "Not so much anymore." Her face burns red, feeling the embarrassment that came with saying that. "Sorry- I-I know you're lonely sometimes. I can see it in your eyes. So, I hope I can lift your spirit." She peeks at Ina for her reaction, glancing away when their eyes meet.

Ina's heart soared, floating lightly as love hearts formed around Calli. She liked her. She thought she did. Her hand felt moist and damp against Calli's yet Calli didn't pull away. If anything, Calli had tightened her grip around Ina's. This didn't mean anything. It couldn't.

It'd be selfish. Calli was meant for someone who could stay with her for eternity. But, even that didn't make her heart waver. 

Calli shakes Ina's hand a bit for her attention, continuing, "Look, if you ever feel like you're different or… out of place…" She speaks, exasperatedly. Her eyes slightly glaze over, blinking away the moisture, "I-I understand okay? And I hope I can serve as a temporary comfort."