CHAPTER 1: DEATH ITSELF EXISTS ALSO AS FEAR

The pink-haired, tall and intimidating girl was known by all in the school. After the girl effectively changed everything about her appearance, many had suggested something had happened. Crimes committed, gangs led, fights started: everything under the sun you would associate with a delinquent. Calliope Mori. A girl who allegedly has fought a million people, has cheated on all of her tests and has played around other people's boyfriends. And being a reaper, it's not too far off to say that she's killed someone.

In reality, that could not be any further from the truth. The so-called 'delinquent' had never fought once. The most she's done however, was defend herself during times when conflict arose and not even throw a single punch. She was a hard worker and spent much of her free time studying and so naturally got better with recall of information during her tests. She had never experienced love. At least one that had mutual romantic interests. She left any feeling she had for anyone until the feelings broke down. Lastly, Mori had never killed anyone yet. In fact, she can't until she gets out of high school to reap souls.

Yet, the idea of her is still such a bad one. Which, y'know, isn't so bad. Calliope Mori didn't need anyone and rather, it was easier. She didn't have any distractions or any drama amongst herself. She just needs herself. That's it.

However, it would've been nice to have at least one friend.

"Ugh, I really hate this. Another surprise test?! What bullsh-", quickly, the odd orange-haired girl was shut up with a clap over her lips to muffle the last part of her sentence. She glared, offended at the person across.

With a shushing noise, opposite her was a smaller, much timid girl who seemed to speak in hushed tones. "Language, Kiara. The teacher's still leaving." Kiara groaned against her palm, sticking her tongue out to retaliate. In response, the shy girl retracted her hand back away from her mouth in disgust. "Uegh... Gross."

The phoenix laughed cheekily at her, "Don't cover my mouth then, Inaaaa." Kiara held out the last note in a sing song tone. Leaning back, she held her body from the table behind which then knocked down a notepad decorated with stickers of birds, eggs and cats. The girl scrambled to catch it, only to knock the notebook further, sliding towards a tall, intimidating figure.

Calliope Mori.

With a confused glance, Mori saw the book slide towards her and flicked her eyes back up to meet with the phoenix, awkwardly posing and the eldritch priestess hiding behind Kiara. Mori sighed. She knew their expressions all too familiarly. Slowly, as if coaxing a scared puppy, Mori picked up the notepad and reached it out to Kiara. The stickers definitely amused the reaper, especially the cat stickers, but tried her best not to let it show.

As the book was offered to Kiara, both persons made no move to take it and still were as silent and as terrified as before. Mori groaned at herself; maybe Mori was wrong? "This is your's, right?" She nearly takes the notebook back to read if the owner wrote down their name only for Kiara to snatch the book hastily.

"Right! That's mine- My book, yes!" Kiara awkwardly claimed, stiffly holding the book to her chest as she avoided eye contact with the taller girl. She felt Ina hurriedly pulling on her sweater back but waved her off discreetly. "Th-thank you!"

The tall girl nodded, turning to move away only to be called back.

"W-wait!"

"Hm?"

Kiara looked wildly at Mori, not expecting how calm she actually was, "what lesson do you have next?"

She looked up then down, thinking on her schedule,"Science? No, we don't usually have sciences on a Wednesday... Uhhh, I got Music next actually." Mori blinked, then nodded to affirm that, "Yeah, I think you're in my class too."