CHAPTER 4: OVERCOMING TAKES TIME

"Y'know, you can talk to me about anything."

It was Saturday; a bright and shining day of rest. Ina and Amelia had planned to hang out and do something other than just studying (much to Ina's dismay. She had worried that she was slacking on her work a lot recently.) They went shopping, bowling and playing games at the arcade all while sending such pictures of these activities to their group chat with Gura and Kiara.

Amelia leaned back onto the blue tiled walls, waiting for Ina to finish washing her hands. She was in her casual attire with a long flowing beige jacket. A flimsy belt of the same material wrapped around the jacket. Her usual hat wasn't on, instead she only had her golden monocle pin onto her hair to brush away her bangs.

Ina, finally finishing, dried off her hands on some tissues. She then flipped her head back up to look back at the young detective puzzled, "What's this about, Watson?" She mumbled, pushing her hands into her grey cardigan pockets.

Amelia shrugged, flicking her head towards the exit so they could walk and talk. Without looking at Ina, she nudged her and continued, "Maybe if... y'know... If Calli was blackmailing you or threatening you, I can help you out. Even if I'm not yet a detective, doesn't mean I can help you out." She turns to Ina fully, reaching a fairly quiet part. "As your friend."

'She really doesn't think that Calli can at all be a good person?' sighing, Ina patted Amelia's shoulder affectionately. Her sad expression cast a shadow over her eyes. She knew all of this was out of good faith but Amelia had issues with trusting supernatural creatures in general (despite going to a school for one.) "I know you care a lot but I assure you, I am fine. Calli's a good person."

"I'm serious!"

"I am too, Ame." Ina retorted, deadpanning until returning to her usual self.

Amelia opened her mouth to respond, gaping and trying to get her words together. No audible words came out. Everything Amelia wanted to say couldn't be put into words. Instead, she blurted out, "You've known her for only like two days, Ina!"

Sighing, Ina crossed her arms, "I know- I know but when I met Calli, she talked to me. We joked around-- She gave me my notebook! She didn't even judge me for my drawing!" She crossed her arms over her chest, feeling the warmth of her imaginary notebook. The memory of Mori's shy introduction to Ina was precious to her already as she was the first person to see that.

"It's hard when you're such a good artist!"

Sidestepping the compliment, Ina went ahead and walked across the street to go to the park, "but if such a 'bad person' goes out of their way to be polite, then they're not such a bad person."

Amelia sighed, quickening her step to keep up with Ina, "Well, you can never be too caref-"

"For once, Ame, please let your guard down." Ina turned suddenly with a slide of her heel. Her hands shakily covered Amelia's own. Frustratedly, she glared at Amelia, finally trying to drive her point into her. "You're our detective- I know- but if you constantly act so suspicious then you would've ended up similarly to Calli."

The detective looked down, flexing her fingers between Ina's warm palms. In silent deliberation, she switched her weight from leg to another and kept her eyes on it. Amelia knew some truth lied in the girl's words seeing how Ina was the one to even break her own loneliness. So, if she were to do the same for Calli...

"Fine. I'll give her a chance."

Ina's expression lifted from one of a sad dog to an energetic puppy. Ecstatic, she wrapped her arms around the blonde girl and hugged her tightly to her chest. "Thank you, Watson!" She laughed heartily, almost sounding like Kiara's chuckle.