62: A Grim Retreat

Start from the beginning

"I question isn't what it want," I said and stood really close to him. "It's what you want. What I can do for you."

Hiccup stopped what he was doing and stood up to look me in the eye. "Did they send you up here with the intent of trying to seduce me so they can go on vacation?"

"Is it working?" I asked, resting my arms around his neck and leaned in so our noses were touching. I then smiled innocently and batted my eyes.

"So, where are you thinking." Hiccup sighed and put his hands around my waist.

"Apparently, as you know, we've been making Gronckle Iron. A lot of it. Fishlegs said we've exhausted the supply of sandstone on the Edge. And as you know, no sandstone, no Gronckle Iron. Then Astrid told me there's a nearby island that has a huge supply of it. It's also deserted, quiet, and would be a great place to relax, and take a little break from real work." I explained.

"I don't really have a choice on this one, do I?" He asked and I shook my head. "Where is this island, exactly?"

I stretched my arm out and pointed to a tiny island on the map he was working on.

* * *

Hiccup, Astrid and I were finishing packing our saddles, Gobber and Stoick in the background having just arrived to take care of the Edge.

"All right. Viggo would most likely wait for low tide and try to penetrate the lower wall, then come up through the arena." Hiccup told his father who look semi-annoyed and amused. Like, how many wars has he fought in? I'm pretty sure he's good.

"Which is why you've secured it from the outside. Hiccup, Gobber and I have defended Berk from much worse than a bunch of namby-pamby Dragon Hunters." Stoick told his son.

"I know, Dad, of course."

There was flapping of wings and the twins landed with their dragon next to us, with some... interesting attire. Weird straw bucket-shaped hats and long flowery necklaces, they also smelled worse than usual. They dismounted and I noticed Chicken who was being held by Tuff.

"Ugh! Someone die? You two look like you're going to a Viking funeral." Gobber asked, slightly horrified.

Wait... am I missing something? We didn't dress like that at the funeral a few days ago. Then again, we were pressing matters at the time.

"And this is our vacation attire." Tuff grinned and they struck a pose.

"Uh, this is not a vacation." Hiccup told him.

"Call it what you will." Ruff began. "But we plan to kick off our shoes and let the worries of the day melt away."

Hiccup sighed and I laughed, clearly he wasn't going to enjoy our vacation.

Hookfang landed and Snotlout jumped off then gasped. "Did someone die? Was it Fishlegs?" He asked hopefully.

Fishlegs then arrived on Meatlug, ruining Snotlout's fantasy.

"No, it's not Fishlegs. I'm right here and ready to go." Fishlegs said.

"Go where?" Snotlout asked.

Did I forget to tell him? Oops...

"No one ever tells me anything. Hey, Chief. What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to look after your base until you all return." Stoick told him.

"Return from where?"

"You remember that vacation we were talking about?" Tuff reminded him then turned to me. "The one that (Y/n) was supposed to get us?"