EPISODE 4: A BIG MESS.

Start from the beginning

“Leave him let’s go.” Fatai exclaimed with a hiss and started walking away.

In order not to provoke them anymore, I followed them quietly till we got out of the campus, then we took a cab heading to an estate situated around the supposed joint.

We eventually arrived and alighted from the taxi, but contrary to my expectation, the supposed joint wasn’t just any random type of joint but an eye-catching restaurant. It had tables and chairs set outside, and a small flat screen television for the customers, coupled with waiters and waitresses dressed in purple and black uniforms.

We went in and sat at a round table, adjacent to the big flat screen TV. Divine and Deborah were nowhere in sight, which undoubtedly meant that they were yet to come. Timi and Fatai both ordered for beer while I went for a canned bottle of Fayrouz.

Soon, our eyes were glued to the television as we argued back and forth about the ongoing football match showing on the screen, until I felt a slight, tender touch from behind me.

“Neche!”

As far as I knew, only one person called me by that name—which was none other than Deborah—but something about this person’s voice wasn’t similar to hers in any way. I had to turn back to ascertain my curiosity.

“Annabel?” I blurted, surprised.

“Chineche!” She said again, adding a smile. “I was calling you all along but you didn’t hear me.”

“Oh, dear. I’m sorry. I was in the middle of an argument with these losers, that’s why.” I apologized, earning a what-the-hell? look from my friends.

Annabel shifted her gaze between Timi and Fatai and waved at them and they reciprocated her gesture and exchanged pleasantries. She then tapped me and pointed to a spot and said, “I was sitting there. That’s Richard in blue.”

I looked and, true to her words, I saw Richard, the same guy I’d met with her during the test in the lecture hall today, seated with another girl. He was laughing and holding hands with the lady, and she laughed back and kissed his cheek in a rather affectionate manner.

I was baffled. “Wait, isn’t he your boyfriend?”

“Boyfriend?” Annabel said, surprised. “Eww. Richard is not my boyfriend o! He’s my cousin. We are related.”

“You guys don’t even look alike.”

“Must we?” She said.

All the while we discussed, I noticed that Timi had been cutting glances at me but I couldn’t fathom why.

“Can I join you here?” Annabel asked, tapping my shoulder, and I caught Timi shaking his head slightly and cutting glances at me again, but I still didn’t grab what he was trying to tell me.

“Sure, you can.” I agreed. “Join us, please.”

Immediately I said that, Timi’s eyes widened with a frown etched upon his face, and Annabel came right up and sat next to me.

“Do you care for a drink?” I asked her, just to avoid Timi’s weirdness.

“No, thank you. I’m fine.”

I was going to speak if someone hadn’t kicked my leg beneath the table. Alarmed, I looked down and saw Timi’s foot and his phone outstretched to me. So, cleverly, I collected it and viewed the screen.

“Are you alright? Tell her to go… Deborah is on her way, guy…”

I glanced at Timi after reading his message and he was still annoyed, obviously, so I just returned his phone and sat upright.