Chapter 52: Words Hurt

Start from the beginning

"I had fun," I say. "Becca's class is already incredibly hard but I love what I'm learning. She's such a great teacher. How was your first photography class?"

"Amazing." He smiles genuinely. "We took a few shots of the snow, and the little birds hiding away in the trees. My teacher, Mitchell, is a fucking great guy. This is the first class I've ever taken that I'm actually enjoying."

"Aw, babe, that makes me so happy." He kisses my hand. "Have you told your parents about the class? I know they won't be thrilled that you are taking a class that won't prepare you for the business world."

He sighs. "What they don't know won't kill them," he says. "It's my life, not theirs, so I don't really care what they think of it."

"So you're just... over it? You don't care what your parents think anymore?"

"I've spent my whole life trying to please them but nothing ever seems to work," he explains. "I just want to do what makes me happy."

"Speaking of your parents, maybe I should come over sometime? We haven't spent time together since we started dating. They do know that we're dating, right?"

He doesn't respond.

"You did tell them, didn't you?" I ask again.

He sighs. "It hasn't come up," he finally says. "I'll tell them I promise," he says, noticing how disappointed I look.

"I told my dad — you remember that, right? And you know how hard that was because there was a time when he really hated you."

"I know, I know," he says. "I promise I'll tell them, just give me some time. We're not exactly in a rush, are we?"

"Kind of," I disagree. "I've known your parents for years, I just feel like we're lying to them. Won't they be happy? I don't want to sound conceited but your parents love me."

"Just don't say anything to my dad when you see him at the office, okay? We aren't exactly in a great place right now and the last thing he wants to hear about is my dating life."

"I thought he'd be happy." I frown. "Wouldn't this news cheer him up?"

"Promise me, okay? Promise me you won't say anything until I'm ready to."

I sigh. "I promise."

"Thank you, B. I appreciate it."

***

Benji

While Brandy heads off to her internship at my dad's office, I head to Central Park to get some shots for my photography class.

It may be freezing cold but I'm definitely dressed for the weather. I have on a warm coat, gloves and a beanie. I take snap after snap, wandering around the frozen layer of water in the park.

"Benji?" A voice calls out to me.

With my eye still looking through the lens, I see Sarah — a girl from my high school. I lower the camera and smile. "Sarah?"

Sarah is one of the many girls I had a fling with back in school. Most of those relationships ended badly and the girl ended up hating me or something like that. But Sarah was different. If I remember correctly, Brandy even met her once, months ago. I was drunk and they both took care of me.

"How the hell are you? It's been, what? Over half a year?" She hugs me.

"I think the last time we saw each other was around summer," I tell her.

"What have you been up to?" She asks. "Still partying, I'd assume?" She laughs.

"Not as much," I say modestly. "I'm studying at NYU and classes take up most of my time these days."