Chapter 31: Deja Vu

Brandy

"Please pick up, please pick up..." I say to myself, my phone up against my ear.

"The caller you are trying to reach—"

"Fuck!" I shout as I toss my phone onto my bed.

I've been trying to get a hold of Hellen for days, but she never answers her cellphone. I thought things were looking good between us after I ran into her at Ramp City, but it seems like she's still mad at me or something.

It's so strange—I don't even know what I did. If she's so mad at me for dating who I want to date, maybe she was never a real friend, to begin with.

I don't want to face the fact that I'm possibly losing my best friend—the thought itself is unbearable. Hell, maybe I've already lost her...

I have a lot going on, she just wouldn't understand. She doesn't know what it's like to balance work, school and a boyfriend. And now I apparently work for Benji's dad—and I still haven't told him. I know he hates his dad and I don't want to upset him. But I need this internship.

I move my hangers around as I search for an outfit to wear to the party tonight. I'm tired of standing out like Benji always tells me to do—I want to blend in. I need to feel like my life is normal for a while.

I throw on a pair of jeans and a crop top, paired with my favourite pair of worn-out Converse. I feel like myself in this. Dresses and all of that makes me feel like I'm wearing a mask of putting up a facade of some sort. Tonight screams casual. It's just a normal college party with normal college students.

As I wait for Benji to come back from wherever he ran off to, I turn on some Seinfeld and throw my feet up.

Before I know it, it's already almost nine. I wonder where Benji is, he's supposed to be here by now. I hope he isn't out with Natalie...

I end up dozing off for a bit without even realizing it until I'm woken up by the sound of my phone. I groan as I search for it and my hand finally finds it.

I look at the screen and see that I have a text message from Benji. I widen my eyes to read it.

B. Running late. I'll meet u at the party.

- Benji

I head out and grab an umbrella on my way out because it started raining as soon as I woke up. The rain is heavy and cold, just like New York rain always is. A brief thunderstorm occurs but it dies down as I reach the dorm.

I wander the floor and see a bunch of people playing beer pong and air hockey. I smile as I watch people having fun and enjoying the party. I wish I knew how to party.

I search for Anthony because I'm starting to feel a little out of place. Everyone has their friends and I'm just a lone wolf.

"You made it!" Anthony's voice calls out from behind me.

I spin around and give him a warm smile. "Hey!"

"I'm sorry, girl, you been here long? I was with my roommate downstairs. I swear that misogynistic bitch gets on my nerves."

I laugh. "It's okay, I just got here." 

"Where's your boo? Benji?" He smirks.

"He told me he'd meet me here. I'm sure he had something important to do first," I let him know.