Chapter 3-"Popcorn?"

-Past-

-Past-

10 years ago.

Mommy took my sister, Juliette and I to the park today so we could play, finally yayayaayy. At the park, finally, I saw another boy my age. He had grey eyes and black hair and he looked cute. He walked over to me and asked if he wanted to play with me and I said yes.

 He told me his name was Rh-rhysand. It's such a long name so I asked if I could call him Rhy. He smiled and his cute dimples said "Okay". He asked me my name and I said, Poppy. He was thinking for a while and then said "Popcorn". I was confused, and asked him "Popcorn?". He replied and said, "You gave me a nickname, so I decided to give you one as well. Do you like it?". I smiled and said, "Yeah, okay.'' We both smiled and played. 

Eventually, it got dark and mommy told me that we have to go back. I looked over at Rhy who was with his mom as well and I told him that I had to go. He smiled sadly but he pinky promised me "I will play with you every day. I promise". I smiled and promised him the same and we left.

-Present-

I shot awake with a start. I had just processed everything when I remembered the dream I had just had. Then came the swirl of emotions. That one memory was something I cherished more than any object in the world. It was so pure. Those sweet words "I promise." What a load of bullshit. 8 year old me should have known that he is a liar. A pathetic stone cold liar and I will hate him no matter what. It's funny. He lied to me. All throughout our "friendship" we had two rules. No lying. No hiding. He broke it. Broke my heart and my trust. Shoving all those thoughts aside, I decided to clear up my thoughts.

Now that he is back, I know I will have to face him soon considering we have the same friend group, go to the same school and year, and knowing Aria, she would forgive him soon. I've just gotta avoid it as much as I can. Maybe I should just run away, but that would mean making the same mistake as him and I won't be putting the others through it.

It's been a week since I saw him, which means school starts tomorrow. As much as I hate the concept of waking up early and meeting people. It's my senior year, which means I will have to study well and get my grades back up. I called Aria and asked if she wanted to go shopping out for school supplies and if we could call Madison and Amyra as well. Aria agreed considering her love for art we're going to be there for a long time.

-A few hours later-

As expected, we spent hours on end in the stationary store. Mainly because all 4 of us got distracted by cute stationary. All of us bought everything we needed and headed back home after stopping by for froyo. I stepped home and my parents spotted me and called me into the living room to talk. They both were concerned over the fact that it's my senior year, which means I've got to start applying for college. My dream job was to become a doctor and med school is hard to get so I can't blame them for being concerned. I went back to my room and got everything packed for school the next day so I could get some extra quality sleep in the morning.

-The next day-

Quality sleep my ass, I'm currently running on 2 hours of sleep, 1 giant frappe to get to school on time. Record time, I met Aria near the lockers as she talked to the rest of our friends. I did talk to them a little but we're not that close anymore so I started putting my stuff away into my locker when Rowan walked in. With him. Rowan and I almost stopped talking a year ago and we barely talked anymore unless the other was sick or the occasional wave while passing each other in school.

Rowan gave me a gentle nod and I nodded back when I noticed him staring at me. Both Aria and Rowan had concern filled in their eyes as they watched what went down between the both of us.

They both knew how much it hurt me, how much I cried and how much I hated him now. I looked away as I told Aria and Rowan I'm heading for AP biology when he spoke. "Popcorn. I have the same class, can you help me find it? The classrooms have changed." The nerve of this guy to talk to me with that nickname, pretending like he did nothing. I'll admit my heart raced at the mention of his nickname for me. I loved it. I made sure no one else used that nickname for me and after he left I tried so hard to forget it. But then I realised that he has lost the right to ever call me by that again.

So I turned back to him and replied with "Oh I'm sorry, do I know you? My parents told me not to talk to strangers. Rhysand is it? I'm sure you can ask someone else. Those who can give shits about you." and walked to my class. AP bio was a subject I genuinely enjoyed and the only subject in which my grades are still straight A's.

I headed for the backseat and I saw Amyra sitting there as well. I greeted her and asked her to join us for lunch with Madison as I got ready for the session. I forgot about what he had told earlier about him being in the same class as me and mentally face palmed myself when he walked in. Of all the seats possible, he chose the one right behind me. I refused to let myself acknowledge his presence as Adam walked in.

Ever since our break up after I found he'd been cheating on me, he constantly accused me of cheating and slut-shamed me. He spotted me and sat next to me, knowing that I'd hate it and feel uncomfortable.

Adam talked to me like he forgot what he'd done to me. What is with these idiots and pretending like they didn't do anything. I started getting uncomfortable with him. I tried shifting seats but there wasn't a single empty seat. Amyra looked at me with confusion and concern but I reassured her that I was fine.

The rest of the class seemed to be going fine until Adam started whispering in my ears. It sent shivers down as he whispered and slut-shamed me right there. I felt violated and disgusted when Rhysand spoke up. "Ma'am I don't think I understand this very well, can I have someone to help me out?".

Adam and I turned back as his grey eyes glared into Adam's. Then the realisation hit me. I was the top in AP bio which automatically meant I'd be the one helping him out, which would mean Adam would have to shift. I sighed in relief until I realised I would have to sit next to him. As predicted, ma'am made Adam switch and Rhysand was now next to me. I suppose anything is better than Adam even if it's him.

He looked at me with concern as he asked, "Are you okay?". I didn't want to talk to him but I did reply, "Oh wow, concern for me? I thought you were too selfish to care.". Stunned, he shut up for the rest of the period. Before leaving class though, as much as I hated him I told "Thank you, for helping me out. For making Adam move away" he smiled as he replied, "Anytime popcorn, anytime." That goddamn nickname again made me walk out to my next class with a scowl etched on my face.

A/N

Ello, Your favourite author strikes back, with ofc another late update because guess who's lazy :) But this one was a special one because its their first written interaction after the mess. Anywhoo, don't hate on Rhys bby, he's still a sweetheart but even I'd hate him if i was Pops. 

Enjoy the update, vote and commenttt tysmm~

ily guys :)

also i edited this chapter after i finished the book, and we just hit 1.2k so skskskks. 

-With love urs trulyy :)