Silent Thunder: Confrontations equal Sobfests

:) Thanks so much for your support! I've noticed though that the farther along my book gets, the less reads and comments.  So I'm sending you on a mission. If you can mention this story in the undiscovered authors or anywhere that would be great! I feel like a beggar but this isn't going to get real far if I don't get a lot of reads! This is dedicated to my friend Yukiluvsjapan for her birthday! (yes I know its late!) You are amazing and thanks for everything!

Copyright 2011

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 5

The bag of dog food fell out of his hand, disturbing the silence that followed his accusation. Apparently I hadn't changed much either. I didn't know whether to deny his comment or confess. I chose the first option.

"Oh. I'm sorry, do I know you. I got lost and I wandered in here looking for help. You weren't home. Do you want me to leave?", I said. I prayed he wouldn't say anything.

He shook his head. The darkness in his eyes penetrated everything. I thought I was going to suffocate. He was prying my secrets out. I collapsed on the floor, coughing.

"Okay! Yeah, it's me! So what?"

"So what are you doing in my house? How did you find me?", he demanded.

I decided to tell the truth. Partially.

"I followed you."

He stared at me. I hoped he'd stop asking questions and leave me alone.

"When? Tell me now."

"Yesterday. After the...yeah yesterday." I almost blurted out my secret. If he figured out....

"After what?",  he said. His voice was getting sterner and sterner. I was getting harder not to tell him everything.

"After. The. McDonald's. Incident.", I chocked out. I could feel tears in my eyes. Why did he always have to know everything?

"Knew it.", he declared. He acted calm and cool. I was shocked. Why was he not freaking out? Didn't he put two and two together?I made a move toward the door but he blocked me.

"No way, lady. You have some explaining to do.", he said pushing his hand in front of me to pull me into a simple kitchen.

"Oh yeah. You do too.", I replied.I sat down at the far end of the table, across from him. It still wasn't far away enough. The table was way to small. We sat there uncomfortable for a good 5 minutes.

"So. How's your mom?" Of course he brings up her. The last time (and first time) he saw me I was bawling my eyes out at a toy store.

"She's okay. I have to help her around the house sometimes and she cant use that arm, but other than that she's good.", I said.

It wasn't true. Things weren't fine. She had to quit her job as a yoga instructor and fora good year we could hardly afford food. At age eleven I was helping to support the family with my babysitting money. My only reprieve was painting. But even that cost money so my painting eventually stopped coming also. She finally found a job as teacher. We had a lot of dept to pay off but things were improving. Still improving. Five years later.

He sighed.

"When will you stop lying to me? You suck at it."

I looked down.

"It's not my fault. I'm not going to trust the person who's brother shot my mother!", I retorted.

Kyle looked at me, opened mouthed. He shivered and became blurry around the edges. I thought he was going to attack me as a wolf, like he had the McDonald man. But the shaking stopped and was replaced by a cold eerie silence. He strode up to me, slapped me in the face and sat down again., facing away from me. I deserved it.

"Look. I'm sorry. Things have been really hard and-'

"Look at me! You have to be better off than this! Things are hard for me too!", Kyle screamed.

I felt horrible. Why had I ever said that?! A sinking feeling in my stomach appeared when I noticed tears were about to fall from his eyes. He was blinking them rapidly. I reached out my hand and offered comfort.

"Don't slap me. I've had plenty of experience."

He smiled slightly and grasped my hand. His smile made me smile too.

"I really am sorry. I shouldn't have said that."

"I'm sorry too.I have a temper.', Kyle said softly."At least that's what me brother said."

Tears welled up in his eyes and he laid his head on my shoulder. Our places had switched. He needed a sister now. Still, it felt like a bad case of de ja vu.

I didn't ask questions, I just let the tears fall. They stopped suddenly and he looked up at me.

"I'm not normally this emotional. I don't know what came over me."

I smiled. There he goes acting all big and tough again.

" No problem. Want some bagels?"