Silent Thunder: Him

• Dedicated to My mother

Sorry for the cliffhanger on the last chapter! :) The book  wouldn't have been the same if I hadn't put it! I have some explaining to do about Helen's past and the mysterious guy gets a name! This may be the longest chapter yet! :) Enjoy!

Copyright 2011

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 4

He smiled like he knew something I didn't. Then he winked. It was like seeing a ghost. He turned and jogged away farther into the maze of alleyways. Stunned, I didn't move. Slowly I padded after him. He led me through the confusing twists and turns of the alleys and walked into a small beat up shack. I curled up next to the door still shocked at seeing him. I thought he had disappeared off the face of the Earth. Rain fell from the sky, soaking me in water. It was cold and stuck to my fur. I shivered.He opened the door (had he been watching me the entire time?!) and opened the door. Did he know who I was? Suspiciously, I walked into the open door and crept inside his house. I backed up against the wall and sat there feeling very uncomfortable. The shack inside was worse than the outside. The wood was rotted, the couch falling apart. The fridge door was slightly open, as if it would not close. A t.v. in the middle of the room (which looked like in was from the 70's) had a large crack in the glass.

"Sorry. I know the place is run down but I can't afford anything better. I can't even afford this place."

He laughed a dry laugh. He had grown up so much it surprised me. His voice sounded different yet I was sure it was him. I stood up and shook the freezing water off my body. It felt good and i almost did it again for the heck of it.

"Whoa! Stop! I don't want to be wet either!"

I wondered if he'd gone crazy. Really, he was talking to a wolf like it was a human being. It was starting to give me the creeps. He clicked the remote and flopped down on the couch, stuffing coming out of the sides. He watched t.v. for a while and drifted off to sleep. The sun set creating a nice, quiet darkness. How long had I been passed out before. It must have been a while.  I didn't feel that tired so I lay down and thought. ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Five years before. Helen at age 11.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We looked in the window of the toy store. The dolls and toy cars looked amazing against the backdrop of fake snow. I was excitedly awaiting Christmas time.

"I want that one!', I said, pointing towards a large doll with beautiful brown hair in a green dress.

My mother laughed.

"Alright. Maybe Santa will get you that. Lets walk in and see what else they have."

She grabbed my hand and walked inside. Maybe I was to old for this but I didn't care. I finally convinced her to buy me a barbie doll. (yes. I still played with them.) The rest had to wait until Christmas. I wanted some mentos at the check out desk but mom would not let me have them even with my puppy dog face. I fake-sulked as we left. She tickled my neck and I immediately burst out laughing. Today, everything was perfect. It felt as if nothing could go wrong. Suddenly a teenager ran past, worry flashing in his face. Before I could say anything another teenager ran past, this time with a gun. I darted back but my mom wouldn't move. She stood there, rooted to the spot. I heard the gun fire, meaning to scare off the other teenager I guess, and screamed. But  was to late. My mother fell to the ground, a  stunned look on her face. I collapsed near her. The teenager who shot ran past, not noticing anything. If he had, he was to scared to stop and confess to it. Tears streaked my face and I couldn't see anything but I heard the whispers of the people around me. They stared at me not knowing what to do. A nice blond lady ran into the toy store to find a phone. People mulled about, though none stopped to help. I felt alone and scared. Why would nobody help me?

"Oh no. Mark what have you done." I heard a voice behind me say.

A boy about 13 years old stood there. He looked as if he was trying to grow up to fast, dressed like the teenagers in a black leather jacket. He looked so much like them I wanted to punch him in the face. I almost did. He offered me his hand and led me into the toy store. The lady who had run in earlier was there, explaining what happened to the store clerk. She glanced over at me and pointed The store clerk, who's name was Kelly based on her badge, took me to the workroom and sat me in a chair. She told me the ambulance was on its way. Then she turned on the mysterious boy.

"I'm so sorry for you and your sister. Is there anything you might need until the ambulance comes?", Kelly said.

My brother? I was about to correct her but he gave me a look telling me to shut up. I did.

"Water would be nice. Can you tell us when the ambulance comes? We'd like to be alone."

"Oh. Of course." Kelly left to go get the water, her blond hair flying behind her.

I sat there trying to soak it all in. One second me and my mom were having the time of our life, the next she was stuck on the cement. Had someone picked her up off the sidewalk yet? Was she still, gulp, alive? I burst into renewed tears. The boy sat down in the chair next to me and tried to give comfort. I slapped him this time.

"Who do you think you are? Just because your pretending to be my brother doesn't mean you are. Go away.", I shouted. "Whats your problem? Why are you hanging out with people who even own guns? Your only two years older than me!"

He stared at me, obviously shocked. His eyes turned cold. They screamed trouble.

"That was my brother. I knew that jerk was going to wind up hurting someone, so I chased after him. Sometimes I feel like the older brother. I think I have some experience. Now do you want comfort or not? Because your not getting any from your mom."

His words were like a slap to the face. Why'd he bring her into all of this? But I did want comfort. And if he was my only option I'd take it. I laid my head on his shoulder and cried it out. Kelly returned with water and looked at me, concerned.

"Is she all right?"

"Oh yeah. She's fine."

Suddenly I noticed the ambulance lights in the distance. It was finally here. I jumped up, wiping the tears from my face. I walked outside still clutching my "brother's" hand. I realized I still didn't know his name. I saw my mother being put into a stretcher and again burst into tears. My life was falling apart before my own eyes. I could hardly look at her. I climbed into the ambulance when they called for family but my "brother" would not. He waved saying he was going to wait for our father to pick him up.

"No! I need you! Don't go!", I admitted. I could feel a blush start to appear on my face, in spite of everything.

"I can't." His eyes looked stern yet caring at the same time.

"At least tell me your name then. Please."

"Kyle. Goodbye Helen."

He walked down the street giving a little wave. The ambulance closed it's doors and my mom was rushed to the hospital. ~

Present Day

The sun rose, filling the old shack with light. I must have fallen asleep. I streched and yawned, flexing my fingers. Wait fingers? Was I a human? I looked down, praying I had clothes. I did. I breathed a sigh of relief. Wait. Was Kyle still here? I glanced around the shack. There were no signs of him anywhere. I still couldn't believe that of all people who I could meet, I met him. I'd never seen him again after that. And what was with him turning back from a wolf to a human? Was he....what I was? Whatever I am. I wasn't one of those Twilight werewolves or one of the old kind. What were they called again? A lycanthrope. I sighed. My life had to be so complicated. I heard the door of the shack open slightly. Kyle walked in with some bagels and a bag of dog food.

"Breakfast!", he called.

Then he turned and saw me standing in the corner. He gasped. I held me breath, waiting for his response.

"You?!'