Chapter 15 : Running the Gauntlet

Mes-Celesk finally shed itself of the acrid smell of burning timber, yet the stench of blood continued to pervade the air and add fuel to the rising tension. Valezk was not completely oblivious to this when he called Slaker to his counsel.

"You summoned me, Sire?" she asked.

"Summoned, really? I requested," he said.

"A request I can't refuse is more of a summons."

"Point considered." He gazed around and saw the various social groups all either cowering or desperately trying to repair their homes. "You know what I was pondering, Slaker? These people out there look so morbidly dreary; I mean I would care, but they are just so boring at the same time."

"Well, you have invaded their home. You may have won the war, but they are not exactly won over, if you understand what I mean..."

"In a way, yes. Now the other problem we have is a distinct lack of labour. So we need to get us some Zolgzaks."

"Slaves?"

"Yes slaves; as you keep reminding me, we need to rebuild our army and our defences."

"Yes, but Zolgzaks? Have you not heard a word I've been saying? What, do we just start with their prisoners then?"

"No of course not. I like them. At least they're interesting."

"Well then whom did you have in mind?" Valezk smiled widely at his next proposition. "Their politicians," he said.

"But most people hate their politicians," she said.

"Exactly," She couldn't help but grin at this prospect. He added, "At least they will do an honest day's work for a change."

"Of course! That's actually brilliant. You'll definitely win some of them over when they see these useless people hard at work."

"You sound so surprised. Well, you shouldn't."

The two of them laughed simultaneously as each of them envisioned Mes-Celezk's finest lie-slingers down on their haunches performing hard manual labour.

"Now please good Slaker, send out a few warriors of ours to round them up and whip them into shape."

"Do you mean whip in the literal sense?"

"Yes." He looked eagerly in their direction as he saw the once-dignified politicians, clad in togas, now linked to chains.

Dawn had barely burst through the mist before Matteo blasted everyone with his loudest woodwind instrument. Halthar started ranting and raving in his guttural drawl before Lucern belted out, "Stand up and get outside you lowly bunch of Kuraha! Before I shove your nose to the ground and make you push dung uphill!"

The blasts of noise continued to burst through the sky as the newly ordained mentors shoved the rest of the crowd outside the copse of trees, out beyond the canyon with Charamayn lending a far more pleasant sound, as they lined up like pawns in an ill-conceived game of chess in the rolling fields beyond the canyon. Jara looked them all over before beginning:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, as I'm speaking to you now, the enemy is regrouping and reinforcing their armies. Believe me or not, they barely rest and if they ever find out about our rebellion, this will be one of the first places they'll take. Now, you can either flee and take your chances or you could be armed and prepared. If this is too much, leave now, otherwise those who stay are here to train and fight it out... If you find yourselves surrounded by beasts, you must become a beast to survive."

A few looked hesitant as she continued.

"Now it's not going to be pleasant, but I assure you, it will feel like pleasure compared to what Valezk has in store if he catches you. You will spend time learning new weapons, how to ambush and how to fortify defences. By the time we're finished, you will all be warriors in your own right."