Chapter 5: The Ethereal Falls

From across the parapet, Bohina and Garwyn could see the spectre of violence and the burst of death that consumed Eondall as he burst into flames the moment a projectile struck his chest. They also felt it quite deeply. The two of them had heard of such violence from their elders, but until these days had not yet faced the horrors and the underlying grief that came in the aftermath. They both were swept over by the pulse they felt, the inner way, and splayed supinely on the ground. The growing realisation struck them that there would never be any peace and that if they continued to stay the course, they would surely perish. The pair of them met with their students and Yordu, all of them looking battle-beaten and exhausted. The greying around their eyes did not betray their deep sense of loss but the beginnings of their transition into an adult life.

Bohina turned to Artreide before she addressed the group, "We need to leave. He has left us with no other option." Artreide nodded "The tunnel."

They expected Yordu to object but he nodded as well. They knew annihilation was on the horizon every moment they stayed. Amid the carnage and flame, they made a direct line to the inner shrine. Along the way they collected a number of Guardians and human reserves. As they were about to enter the inner cell, Yordu withdrew. Bohina pleaded with him, "Yordu, you need to leave with us." He hesitated a moment before replying, "Someone needs to stay behind and give you a safe retreat. I've already lived a fulfilling life."

Artreide interjected, "And you'll continue to live it. We need you."

"No, you need me." Tears were starting to stream down Arteide's face. This simple statement resonated very strongly to him.

As the two continued to dance around their words, another group interjected. Two very dishevelled colossal Guardians, fearsome ladies that wielded a hand axe as well as their treasured staves met them, both looked gravely towards Yordu under their dirt-encrusted faces.

"You need to go with them, Old Man. They really need you."

"Don't patronise me. We're all valuable."

"They will learn more from you...besides we were made for this.

Before Yordu could object further, Baelar added: "Get out of here before we hurt you!"

He chuckled and led the group into the middle of the temple. As he turned a handle that was hidden under an ancient statue, a passageway opened in the wall. Before the group entered they could hear the sound of the wind, emitting the word "Exile". Most of the remaining warriors would receive the message, it was an evacuation call emitted by Garwyn. Those in the forest would clear out of there. Bohina hovered at the back and gathered a group of soldiers before entering the tunnel. "Don't needlessly lay down your lives. It is Guardians they're after. Once you have rigged artillery fires and booby traps you are all to gather the rest down this tunnel and get Baelar to seal it behind you. May Erto-en lead you."

Under the concealment of fire and bombardment, the group crept down the tunnel which was thankfully lit by torches throughout. Despite the mustiness and rich earth smells, there was an eerie sense of calm that hung over the tunnel. It led into a fork, and as Bohina went to lead the group to the left, Yordu gestured down an alternate path. "But this is the way out."

"We need to go to the Ethereal Falls. I need to see, in fact we all need to see."

One of the children asked. "See what, Sir?"

"We need to see where Eondall will be."

For the remaining Guardians this was not unexpected information, but to the remainder of the party, this was truly intriguing.

Outside the shrine, the remaining group of warriors continued to stave off the avalanche of projectiles. They were beginning to make their own preparations to retreat, and were making special weighted contraptions to randomly let loose artillery fire. Baelar was working a catapult singlehandedly, letting her immense strength and stamina allow her to send a barrage at twice the speed of her human counterparts. She was abruptly interrupted by a Guard, "Sire, listen."