Chapter 8: Confrontation

She struggled to do her job that day; she parried the questions of her inquisitive colleagues by saying that she missed her mother; that this was why she seemed so sad. Her mother looked at her a bit strangely but seemed to want to believe her lie. During the day she also received a few pitiful looks from Genevieve, which she tried to ignore. Alina focused entirely on her work, numb as a machine; and she told herself that she could not burst into tears now; she could only do that at home. The day passed dreadfully slowly but when it ended, Genevieve had asked, much to Alina's dismay; if she could stay a little longer; to put the final changes to a wedding dress. She obviously couldn't say no and got to work; desperate to get home as soon as possible....

Genevieve also stayed longer; she was going to do her bookkeeping.... However, she lingered; even though she wanted to walk away a few times, she turned around.

"Alina.. How are you feeling? Listen I am aware that it's none of my business and I'm probably the last person you should be talking to about this... but if you want to then- ", Genevieve suggested.

"Thank you Madame Delacroix for your concern.... I'm fine " she replied curtly but Genevieve could see she wasn't, as tears started to well up in her eyes; and wanted to say something about it but then heard a ringing sound, giving her an indication that someone was in the shop.

Genevieve sighed and said she would be back soon, closing the door as she left the room.

Alina continued her work steadily but heard people loudly discussing in the shop. It was not her business to intrude, it was a disgruntled customer, but the discussing turned into shouting at some point; and Alina got a bad feeling inside that there was a robber in the shop, and this meant that her boss was alone now. She got up and reached for the scissors and then ran to the front of the shop and concluded that she was wrong. There was no robber in the shop and Alina dropped the scissors.

Benedict was standing there, and he and Genevieve were now staring at her for what seemed an eternity until Benedict took a step in her direction.

"Alina... can we please have a word?" he said in a pleading way.

"Benedict... I had forbidden you to come here" Genevieve said in a stern manner and then turned a compassionate glance towards Alina.

"I would like you to leave" said Genevieve. Benedict looked back at her for a moment and paused before speaking.

"I need to speak to her for a moment. Just for a little while and you won't see me here again" he said in a soft tone; in a broken voice and he then looked at Alina again.

"I don't know if that's a good plan Benedict" said Genevieve giving Alina a wavering look.

"Don't worry, Madame Delacroix. I'll close up shop after our talk" and she nodded to confirm or emphasise.

Genevieve looked at Alina again, doubtfully, but Alina nodded once more and then she decided to give up.

"Fine" she conceced."Then I'll see you tomorrow. Please check that the door is closed properly before you go".

"I will."

Genevieve then walked to the coat rack; grabbed her coat; looked at the two of them staring at each other in complete silence, shook her head and left.

And then they were alone; wrapped in a heartbreakingly painful silence until she was the one to break it.

"What can I help you with Mr. Bridgerton?" she asked. Benedict frowned, looking at her not understanding. He took a few steps forward and she remained standing to her chagrin; unable to move, but rattling, nonetheless.

"I know your sisters come here regularly but that said we currently have no orders ready for them to be picked up but if you want I can check and-"

"Alina. What are you talking about?" he interrupted her with a pitiful look before sighing deeply.