Chapter 3: Reveal

She had trouble breathing and her heart seemed to want to jump out of her chest, so hard that it pounded, and the only thing she could do was stand there because she felt unable to move.

"Why would you... want to see me?" she said as she swallowed the lump in her throat.

"Because I wanted to talk to you" was his answer, it was a simple statement, but it triggered so much in both.

In Benedict it sparked relief, for he had stated his reason for visiting her and in Alina a slight sense of anxiety began to come to the surface. Especially when he took a few steps towards it but stopped a short distance away.

"I don't see what we should be talking about Mr. Bridgerton?" she replied with a pounding heart and he sighed. She was obviously going to make it difficult for him.

"I think you know quite well what I'm referring to" Benedict said as he carefully took a step forward so as not to frighten her. She said nothing to his accusation but only looked at him with doe eyes.

"Mr. Bridgerton. I am not so certain that I do, honestly I- ".

"Benedict. Call me Benedict, please" he interrupted, and she was astonished by his manner of forwardness.

"NO, Sir, I... can't." she firmly stated but regretting her intonation later as she could see his disappointment.

"I uhm must close the store. Madame Delacroix left me in charge to do so".

"Alright. Lock up and we'll finish talking in the carriage while I escort you home" he said to her surprise.

"No thank you. I'd rather walk" she said to his disappointment.

"Fine... then we'll finish the conversation here" and at that point she lost her temper.

"What conversation. I still don't understand what you are talking about-" she began in a taunted tone but somewhere deep down she knew exactly what he meant.

"So, you are meaning to tell me that I'm the only one here... that... That I am mad for sensing... something between you and me?" he said in a voice that came across as slightly desperate, as if he needed to know that he wasn't imagining things.

"I... I... really don't know what you're talking about, Sir", she lied even if inwardly a part of her was screaming that he was right, that she could sense things too.

His face fell and he seemed uncomfortable, she could tell. She wanted to go up to him and tell him that he had nothing to be ashamed of and that he wasn't wrong but didn't do it.

"Forgive me. I have misjudged the situation and might have behaved unbecomingly towards you" he said after a long silence. He felt like a complete and utter fool and wished the ground would swallow him up whole.

"No, no it's fine Mr. Bridgerton. You don't have to apologize, not to me, it was just a misunderstanding." It wasn't but she had to lie and tell him it was. He seemed to want to say something but grimaced and only nodded.

"You must know that I had no ill intentions ... I.... I would never do anything to hurt you or anything like that" he said after a little silence.

"I know that... I know that" was all she said before turning to eyes to the floor, feeling herself flush from head to toe.

The wind howled loudly, interrupting the current, uncomfortable status quo between them as both suddenly looked up in response. It started raining shortly after and quite a bit too to Alina's annoyance because she now knew right away what he was going to propose.

" I'll drop you off home" Benedict suggested.

"No, no... Really, I don't need-" she tried to argue but it was fruitless.