Chapter 5: Falling

Hello,

Here is Balance Chapter 5. Has been a while since I updated but I didn't feel like it due to.. well let's just say it has to do with A03 and leave it at that.

Anyway; little note; I know I said that the Kennedy's didn't have anyone as family in prior chapters; which I am now backtracking on because they do have a uncle/brother but he lives far away.

I purposely left this chapter the way it is because I have to make my mind up whether or not 'certain things' go true and it is long enough already. As always I am taking historical liberties and as always my apologies for shitty grammar and stuff.

p.s. certain things are inspired by "An offer of a Gentleman" just FYI.

***************

The carriage ride to her house was once more uncomfortable to Benedict's dismay. She was silent and preferred to stare out of the window with a blush on her face; anything to avoid his gaze. He looked at her intently; then bit his lip, something he often did when confronted with awkward situations but went ahead and spoke anyway.

"I want to see you tomorrow," he said. She looked at him briefly; pensive; doubtful, he could tell but nonetheless she didn't reply to his 'request'.

"Alina, didn't you not hear me just now?" he said.

"Yes, I did..." she noted trying to sound a tad nonchalantly; vehemently wishing he wouldn't notice the effect his request on her. This man: he was serious in pursuing this, pursuing her and while she was thrilled, and her heart had just started beating like mad. On the other she knew she needed to keep her composure keep her head cool because otherwise she would be swept away.

Swept away in the fantasy; that they, even though from different kind of worlds, would work together as a couple where they couldn't but damn... Damn; it was so hard not to feel overjoyed when he asked her to spend time with him. But was it real or a fantasy? She was inclined to think the latter.

"I do not think we should see each other tomorrow" she replied, interrupting him. She had meant to make the sentence come out definite; but her voice had failed.

He groaned in frustration, at the repeat of this conversation.

"And why not then?" he exclaimed in an annoyed tone.

"You know why" and this time she turned to look at him; not too long for if she gazed at him too long undoubtedly 'things' were going to happen once more and while she enjoyed being kissed by him; immensely enjoyed it, it was best if they did not occur once more.

"Mr. Bri-" she began after a moment of silence, but he suddenly looked at her so irritated that she quickly didn't continue uttering the rest.

"If we pursue this; it will lead to nothing; only pain" she said now suddenly looking away from him.

Benedict shook his head; even though she couldn't see that because she was staring out the window once more.

"How so?" he asked her softly after a while.

She quirked an eyebrow at him in confusion; then understood that he wanted to know what was obvious at least to her. Alina took her time to reply as she wanted to weigh her words; making sure she would get the message.

"You will have to marry one day. I will have to... marry... but we will not marry... each other, will we?" she timidly argued.

His demeanour and expression immediately changed to a defeated one as if he had received bad news, and in fact he had. She had explained their difference in class in subtle detail without naming it; she had subtly pointed out to him the reality that marriage would be impossible; and it was as if someone had thrown a bucket of ice water over him.