Happy birthday

Kawaki walked into one of the stalls. I could hear the toilet paper holder roll; he grabbed some toilet paper. I walked towards the mirror and looked at my face. It didn't look all too good.

I had dark eye-bags, a sunken face and my h/c hair was tangled. I hadn't looked in a mirror in a long time, so my face came quite as a surprise. I knew I wasn't looking good, but I didn't imagine it would be this bad.

My mouth fell slightly open. My face didn't betray any emotion, however. Neither did my mind. Maybe my heart. I couldn't really tell.

"Are you okay?" Kawaki asked. I quickly closed my mouth and turned around. "Yeah. I just hadn't seen my reflection in a long time." I said with a blank stare. Kawaki clearly didn't know what to say. "Do you, ehh, do you want a little alone time? I mean we should probably clean your wound soon, but I- ehh- I understand if you need to look at.... yourself?"

I blinked and looked at him with a confused expression. "Look at... myself? You're telling me to take some time to admire my face while I'm bleeding heavily out of a wound that needs to be bandaged right away?" Kawaki was silent. "... yeah?" He responded uncertain.

I burst out laughing. "HahHahAha! Oh my god, you're- aHahaAh- you're a good one! What the- haAHhA- what the hell?!" I said as I laughed, grabbing my stomach in the process. 'I haven't laughed like this in a long time...'

Kawaki looked at me with an embarrassed frown. "I was only trying to make you feel better. How would I know what you need." I was still laughing when I lost my balance and fell backwards.

I suddenly felt dizzy from my blood loss and heard "Watch out!" which Kawaki yelled as he dropped the toilet paper he was carrying and ran towards me. Then my sight went black. The last thing I could feel was two hands, wrapping around my body.

-------

"... lo? Y/n?!"

A voice?

"Can you hear me? It's me, Kawaki!"

The voice, which I now recognized as Kawaki, spoke.

I furrowed my eyebrows and slowly opened my eyes. I saw a chest, then an arm, then a face. "I can hear you." I whispered as I looked into Kawaki's eyes. They flooded with relief. "Thank goodness you're awake. I thought you died! You suddenly collapsed." He said.

I looked around and realized we were on the floor. Kawaki had caught me and was holding me. "Ever heard of fainting?" I spoke. He helped me sit up and chuckled. "Guess I was too worried. You're perfectly fine, I hear."

I sat up and grunted in pain, my wound really needed to be cared for. "Right. I'll get some new toilet paper, as I dropped the previous bunch. You just stay there, if you move too much you'll get hurt even more." Kawaki said as he stood up and walked into a toilet stall once more.

He grabbed some toilet paper and wetted it under the tap. I moved my shirt up, so he could see the wound. He cleaned it quickly and efficiently. It still hurt, even though he tried his best to be as gently as possible. Every time I winched in pain, he mumbled little apologies.

"Stop apologizing. It's fine, I'm used to pain anyway. Besides, it's not really like it's your fault." I said after his 10th apology. "I'm still sorry." He said back. Kawaki stood up, walked to the toilet and flushed the wet and bloodied toilet paper away.

He then grabbed some new, dry paper and kneeled beside me. He was drying the wound very gently. "How are you still this nice?" I asked. Kawaki obviously didn't expect this question, since he stopped cleaning a second, before continuing what he was doing.

"What do you mean." He asked. I explained. "You've been in this hell just as long as I have, haven't you? I don't know about the Outers, but I've seen enough to lose all kindness towards others. The Inners aren't much better. I can't imagine you're still a nice person, yet here you are. Gently cleaning a wound of someone you barely know."

Kawaki was silent for a moment. Wondering how he should answer. At least, that what I think he was doing. "You're nice to me, aren't you? Same reason I'm nice to you." Kawaki looked me in my eyes. "We're the only ones who really know how it is in here. The others don't get special training. The others aren't neglected by the Outers. The others aren't specifically picked on by some Inners. I could go on and on with this."

"Though the biggest reason is because I trust you." My eyes widened. "I don't know why. It just feels like I can. You feel safe. It's like I can say and do anything around you, and it would be okay. I feel safe when I'm near you."

My mind didn't show any emotion, however I could feel a tear slip from my eye. 'He feels safe around me?' He had just said the nicest thing I've ever heard to me. "Ahh! Oh no! I'm so sorry, this must be really weird I mean we like just met and-" Kawaki quickly said, waving his hands apologetically, before I interrupted him.

"It's my birthday."

He fell silent. "What?" I simply repeated myself. "It's my birthday." Kawaki looked at me confused. "Today?" I nodded. "Why didn't you tell me earlier! I don't know what you do at birthdays, but I still could've done something." Kawaki whined.

"There wasn't really an opportunity to tell you. It isn't really important anyways." I spoke. "You did do something though. Thank you for telling me what you just said. It was the best birthday present I could get."

Kawaki smiled and brought his fingers to my cheek. He gently wiped my tear away and said. "Anytime. I just told you the truth, so it's nothing special. But yeah, happy birthday!"

I smiled back. "Thanks. I think I needed to hear that." The world didn't seem so bad, now. Then I remembered something. "Wait a minute, you still havent told me why you came into my room! I at least deserve to know why I was stomped in my stomach. You said you would tell me, get on with it!"

Kawaki sweat dropped. "Right. If you'll just change into some clean clothes I'll begin the story, it's long so we better use all the time we have. You can't stay in this bloodied thing forever, anyway." He said. I nodded, grabbed my clothes and walked into one of the stalls. "Go on, then." I said as I closed the door.

"Okay, well, it started when... "