The first day

My room was very small. A simple bed, closet and nightstand. There were no windows, all the light came from one lamp in the corner of the room. It was a rough night, the bed was uncomfortable, and the blankets were very thin.

A woman came and woke me up the next morning. She looked very frail and wore a maid outfit. She brought me some new clothes for training and waited until I got changed. Then she led me to the hall where I would be training.

''Well then, excuse me.'' She said before bowing and walking away, leaving me alone in this empty space.

It only took a couple minutes, before Jigen appeared from a door on the other side of the room. ''Hello, y/n.'' He greeted. ''Hello.'' I spoke.

''I assume Amado has already filled you in on the situation. You will be training with me from now on. I want you to become strong. The time you aren't training, will be spend on studying in the library. I already filled the librarian in with a list of topics I want you to be fully knowledgeable in.'' Jigen said.

''Do I also get free time?'' I asked cautiously, not forgetting the warning Amado gave me. Jigen looked at me like I had just asked the dumbest thing ever. ''Of course. This will be the time you spent sleeping.''

'Sleeping? That's not what I meant. Do I have to work all day long? I'm sure that's not what he meant, right?'

''Just to make things clear, from now on you will wake up at 7am every morning. I will train you in the afternoon, 4pm-10pm. You can decide for yourself how much sleep you get; however you also have to pay for the consequences if you are too tired. I will make sure you get a pocket watch. The librarian will give you a new list every week, make sure you study everything. Failure will not be tolerated, you understand?''

Jigen made things very clear. I still believed that things wouldn't be so bad, I mean training is fine, and now I could finally learn things, just like any other kid! ''Okay.'' I said, signalling I understood.

''Good. Now then, show me how good your fighting skills are. Don't worry, I don't expect anything good, but I must know what I'm working with. Then I will make sure you improve.''

I nodded. This didn't really make sense, but I did not want to ask another question, so I stayed quiet. I ran towards Jigen and tried to hit Jigen. He easily caught my fist with his hand and threw it aside, causing me to fall onto the floor a few meters away.

It was obvious my fighting skills were horrible. ''Again.'' Jigen commanded. I got up from the floor and tried to attack again. This time Jigen dodged, I didn't think of this and while trying to turn my body I messed up my steps and stumbled into the floor. ''Again.'' Jigen said.

This went on for, I don't even know how long. It felt like hours had passed by. I could taste blood in my mouth, I really fell a lot of times. ''Get up, we're not done yet.'' Jigen said. I could hear he was displeased with my work. The cold floor kept me conscious as I laid on the ground, exhausted.

I have never been this tired before. I desperately tried to get on my hands and knees, but my body wasn't working with me. Before I knew it, I was on the ground again.

''I said, get up.'' Jigen said again, this time a little angrier. I put all of my strength into my arms, but they barely moved. ''I-I'm trying!'' I said in-between breaths. Tears threatening to leave my eyes. ''My body won't listen to me!''

''I don't want to hear your excuses. I told you didn't I, failure will not be tolerated. I don't have all day to train you, I'm on a tight schedule here. Kawaki will end up waiting for me.'' Jigen said. 'Kawaki? He is also getting training? I hope he will be doing better than me, though I don't think that's very difficult.'

I lifted my head and tried to look Jigen in his eyes. ''Kawaki? Is he getting training jus-'' But before I could finish my question, Jigen had thrown me to the other side of the training hall. ''I told you to get up, not to ask questions. If you have the energy to talk, you also have the energy to fight.''

I certainly couldn't move after that. My entire body ached as I fell from the wall onto the ground. I leant with my back against the wall, hoping for some sort of support. Tears were now uncontrollably streaming over my face.''I-I'm sorry. I shouldn't have spoken out of turn.'' I said, shaking in fear. ''I-I was just curious, it won't happen again!''

Jigen looked at me in disgust. I was a small little pest, crying and shaking on the ground. Barely able to hold onto consciousness. ''Fine. Training is over for today. If you need to know something about Kawaki, I will tell you. Otherwise, you should focus solely on your training and studies. Those are the only reasons you exist. Without those you are nothing. Remember that.''

Jigen walked away after that. Leaving me alone in the room once again as I let out little sobs. My entire body ached. I had no idea how I was going to survive this training every day, but that was a worry for later. Right now, I couldn't think about anything, except Kawaki.

I just hoped he was okay.