The little girl

My hands rested on my knees as I panted, in need of air. In front of me laid a bunch of wood I managed to gather. I was still young, but I knew how much my parents needed the money and wanted to help them out.

I have been gathering wood each morning for as long as I can remember. My parents are very poor, so every scrap of money we can get, we must take. I looked up from the ground and wiped the sweat from my forehead.

'This still isn't enough wood, we need more.' I thought to myself, before running back into the forest.

Life was difficult. I always had to work hard. So did my parents, of course, but I was still a small child. Looking back, I don't think my parents always saw me as a child. I know they loved me, but as time moved on, they started to care only about the money I brought in each day.

After I gathered all the necessary wood, I sold it in the town nearby our house. By the time I had my money, it was late in the afternoon. I walked home, exhausted. I got even less money today, my parents are not going to like that. People just don't need much wood in the summer, so of course I'll make less money. I doubt my parents would agree with that though.

I opened the door of the house. ''Mom, Dad, I'm home!'' I took off my shoes and walked into the living room. ''Do you have the money?'' My father asked, he sat on the couch, reading a newspaper. ''Yes, I have it right here.'' I said. My mother emerged from the kitchen, she was probably making dinner. ''How much did you get? Give it here.''

I turned around and anxiously gave her my wallet, with the money. She quickly opened it and emptied it on the table. I could loudly hear the metal fall onto the hard wood. She moved the money around and stayed silent for a couple seconds. ''What the hell is this.''

My father looked up from his newspaper to see what was wrong. My mom walked towards me, while I slowly backed away in fear for her reaction. ''Where is the rest of the money?!'' she yelled at me. I could hear my dad go through the money on the table.

''Th-this is all the money I could get.'' I managed to get out. My mom towered over me, staring through my soul. ''This cannot possibly be all the money you got today.'' My father said. He also started walking towards me. ''You know we need the money, right?''

''She probably kept half for herself.'' my mom said, as she grabbed me by my shoulders and started shaking me back and forth. ''Didn't you?! Give our money back!!'' I grabbed her hands in attempt to stop her from shaking me. ''No! No, I didn't! This really is all the money I could gather; I swear!''

My dad now stood beside my mom and glared at me with a smile I knew all too well. ''You love us, right? We need the money. You don't want us to starve, do you? Now, be a good girl then and hand us the rest.''

I panicked, that face is one that haunted me at night. I know they mean good, they need the money, so I never blamed them for this. ''I love you! I don't want you to starve! I swear this is all the money from today!'' I yelled. ''You have to believe me!''

My mom finally let go of me. I stumbled and fell against the wall behind me. She sighed and looked at me with the same smile as my dad. ''Well, then we've got no choice. Since you didn't bring in enough money, we don't have enough to buy you food. You'll have to skip dinner today.''

''Wh-what?'' I said. ''You get it, don't you? We don't want to do this either, but since you didn't bring enough money, we can't feed you tonight. We love you; you know that, right?'' My dad continued as he walked back to the table and put the money back in my worn-out wallet.

My mom also walked away, back into the kitchen. I just stood there with my back against the wall. ''Right.'' I mumbled. I didn't want to be with my parents right now, so I quickly walked to the bathroom. I normally slept on the couch since we didn't have enough money for a second bed. The bathroom was the only place in the house I could be alone.