A New Start

Chapter II

We arrived inside of the outer district of Wall Rose, Chlorba. The town was bustling with anticipation. Refugees plagued the streets while the citizens of the inner walls scoffed at our "pathetic" existence. The people here were annoyed with all of us. They didn't need any more people moving in. They always disliked the citizens from the outlying ring. Discrimination towards us was normal, but to practically refuse us shelter was cruel. I kept my eyes downcast. I didn't want to make eye contact with anyone. They didn't need to see my puffy, red eyes and I didn't need to see their hostile gazes.

The breach was still new information for the people. Everyone was spreading rumors left and right. We were stopped at the stables with our horses. Aiden and I were leaning against a stall, Peter was sitting on the ground, and my mother was speaking with the caretaker. We listened to the people talking. It wasn't hard with half of them practically shouting. "I heard that there was a titan that reached the top of the sky!" "I heard the Military Police will be able to repair the holes in no time." "I hope so. There are too many evacuees here. Either the walls are repaired and they leave or we feed them to the beasts." I scrunched my nose at them. They don't know anything about the titans. They haven't felt pain. They only care about their pointless lives inside this hell.

My thoughts are rapidly interrupted by a shout. The gate into the district began to close. Half of the refugees began to run towards the gate while screaming, "My family is still out there!" The other half stood back. They were content with the gate being closed off. When the gate was finally shut, a Military Police officer called for the attention of the crowds. He stood above the ground on a platform that was surrounded with fellow officers. When he began to speak the entire crowd was silenced.

"Attention! There have been a lot of rumors spreading about the public. I'm here to confirm or deny your suspicions and explain why we are closing the gates. The Central Government decided to withdraw all human activity inside of Wall Rose. The titans have invaded into Wall Maria from the Shiganshina district. There a Colossal Titan and, what we are calling, an Armored Titan broke through the walls." With this news people began to whisper and gasp. The police silenced the crowd as he continued his speech, "We are estimating that 10,000 people have died over the course of the past few hours. The rest of the population that has moved into the walls will find refuge here. Rations will be provided for food."

At this the citizens began to interject, "We are already low on food! How do you expect us to take care of ourselves when we can't even feed our own people?!" People began to chant and rebel. Others joined in on the hateful feedback. The Military Police tried to control the crowd, but the riot was too powerful. The main representative climbed down from the platform as the rest of the squad dealt with the crowd. In this moment my Mother took hold of Peter and threw him on her horse's back. "Aiden and (y/n), mount up. We're leaving." Aiden and I clambered onto (h/n)'s back. "Where are we going?" I questioned.

My mother said nothing as she hopped onto the horse with Peter. When she was comfortable she finally answered, "Home. Now follow me." We forced our horses to trot behind the platform. The leader of the MP squad looked up at the sight of my mother. He smiled and opened his arms as we approached him. "Jane!" My mother smiled and dismounted the horse to embrace the man. "Good to see you Daren." "It's been awhile. Where's Hunter?" The man questioned as he looked around. "He's beyond the walls." The man's face changed from blissful to solemn. "Is he..." I interjected myself to answer the question, "He's free. That's all he is." The man's gaze left my mother's grieving face and instead looked at mine.

I no longer had tears marking my face. Instead I kept an emotionless expression that showed no signs of weakness. "He's free." I repeat. The man nods his head in agreement. "Your father was a great man. He was a fellow officer of mine. I knew him well. I know he wouldn't have died in vain." He places his firm hand on my feeble shoulder and squeezes it lightly in an attempt of comfort. I nod slightly as he releases his grip and looks back at my mother. "I'm going to assume you need a place to stay." My mother nodded wearily, "Do you know of a place?" The man smiles lightly. "Of course."