XIII. A hundred thousand Dollar Guilt-Free

We walked into the lobby just as Caleb was being escorted out in handcuffs. My worst fear was suddenly standing a few feet away from me. My heart immediately dropped to the ground, and his eyes pierced through me like a blade. His face fuming with rage hotter than fire, he released the thickest mouthful of saliva I had ever seen onto my right cheek.

"I wish I never let you feel my dick! You ungrateful bitch!" he screamed as the officers struggled to keep him from coming after me and led him out. I stood there frozen like a stone and in total shock.

"Don't touch it!" Screamed detective Angelo as he ran up with a small plastic sample can and a swab. He wiped the saliva off my face and into the sample plastic.

"I'm so sorry this happened. I thought the suspect had been escorted out, and I just found out that one of the officers had to make a quick stop. Plus, we need every DNA we can get." He said as he handed me two wipes.

"I'm so sorry about this," Solomon said, grabbing my shoulder gently. Her lips tightened as she looked at Angelo with disapproval.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

"I'm okay. I feel relieved, and I know now that I made the right decision coming here." Detective Solomon took a deep sigh of relief and gave me the widest grin I'd seen from her all day.

A beam of sunlight flashed on my face as I walked out of the police station. I covered my eyes with a hand to shield them from the bright rays. The clouds were clear and felt light. It was hard to believe this was an evening in the fall. The light breeze blew a string of brown curly hair on my face, bringing a smile to my face.

I spotted Amanda exiting her yellow beetle and headed towards me. I immediately increased my pace as I walked up to her. Her face was littered with anticipation as she approached.

"How did it go?!" She screamed, stopping short a few steps in front of me.

"They got him," I responded with a grin. Amanda jumped up in the air with arms raised high before body-slamming e for a hug. We embraced tightly for a second before letting go.

"They have to wait for the DNA to confirm that the hairs found on the crime scenes are a match to his, but they found the three-dot tattoos on his groin area. The son of a bitch still had it. I saw him on my way out, and he saw me too." She gasped with both hands over her mouth. "He knows it was you" I nodded.

"He spat on me."

"What?!" She said, hands still over mouth.

"Yep. But I'm not afraid anymore, and I don't feel guilty either because I know he is guilty. We should know for certain in three weeks. Amanda, you cannot share this with any soul. Not Peter, not your parents, not Ava Grace, and definitely not the plants."

We burst out laughing.

"I promise I won't, Tko. This secret stays here with me." She said, grabbing my hands.

"Well, until they make the announcement publicly. Then we can share." She nodded.

"I asked the detective to write the check for the reward money in your name," I said, looking her straight in the eyes.

"What!" She screamed, covering her mouth once again with her hands.

"All of it?" I nodded.

"No. I can't, Tko. Why?" She asked as her eyes began clouding up. I shook my head repeated, trying to find the right word.

"You have a new family now. You have a baby Amanda. I have school. I'm going to graduate and probably have a job somewhere. I don't know where but somewhere. I think I'll be fine. You can get a bigger place, take the baking classes and start the bakery and you don't have to leave Ava Grace to enlist in the military for a few years. Besides, she is my God-daughter. I have to make sure you are all okay." I said, unable to hold back the tears. Amanda embraced me, and we sobbed for a moment.

"We have to stop this." I teased as I released myself, and we both chuckled. I dried my eyes with my hand.

"I told them you'd be heading in soon. The detectives need your ID. They'll release the funds once his arrest is made public. So in two to three weeks, hopefully." I said as I watched Amanda try to catch her breath. Her face was still of disbelief. She stared at me as she still tried not to break down in tears all over again.

"Thank you." She said finally. "I don't know how I can ever repay you." She said. "

You don't have to. You owe me nothing." I said.

"Come here." I gave her another hug. "I have to be driving back to Seattle now. It's starting to get dark." I said, releasing my hold.

"Yes. Okay." She responded, sniffling. "But, I'll be back in three weeks for the christening." She grinned widely.

"You promise?"

I nodded. "I promise Amanda, ...and I wouldn't miss it for the world. No more being a stranger." I said to her.

"Yes. No more being a stranger." She repeated with a smile.

"By the way, I think Peter might be a good one." She grinned widely.

"You think so?" I nodded with a smile, and she laughed and nodded.

"Now, GO!" I beckoned her in the direction of the station, and she reluctantly walked towards the building, both of us stealing a look back every chance we could and waving goodbye.

I got into my sky blue beetle but could not wipe the smile off my face. I turned on the car and drove out of the parking lot. I was leaving Portland with a car full of memories I planned to dump when I got back to Seattle.