XII. Reward or Burden?

The station was jingling a different type of mood upon my return. This time, excitement and optimism were in the air—a stark difference from earlier in the afternoon. I walked through the corridor leading to the room. At the end of the hallway was a cluster of people talking amongst themselves. The group began to disappear the closer I got until Detective Solomon and Angelo were the only two left. They lead me into the room without saying a word. We all took our original seats, and I could hear my heart pounding out of my chest as they placed 12 by 10-inch photos on the table. 

Angelo pulled out his mobile phone and put it on the table as well. I leaned over to take a look at the images that seemed to be a combination of colored and black and white photos, showing all angles of what appeared to be Caleb's groin area right above his privates where the three dots tattoos resided. It was clear as day and a replica of the dots on the dead girls' forehead. My mouth gaped open, and I looked up and saw smiling faces glaring back at me. I slumped back into my seat. I couldn't believe it worked.

"He fought tooth and nail, but we had the warrant. We asked him to shave that area, but he resisted until we offered to do it for him. Once he shaved down, we were all shocked to see the three infamous dots starring back at us. We packed up the hair from his groin area as well and can't afford to leave any DNA behind at this point." Said Angelo leaning back into his seat with a sigh. I could see a hint of relief in his eyes.

"So what next?" I asked cautiously. 

"Well, we just sent samples of his pubic hair to our forensic expert to run the DNA against the ones we found in some of the murder scenes to see if they are a match. It generally takes about two to three weeks, but we're trying to push for sooner. In the meantime, we are detaining him until we get the result. We'll be heading to court in a few hours." 

Said Solomon with her interlocked fingers on the table. I took a deep sigh and paused.

"You should be proud of yourself. I know your experience at that festival was not the most pleasant, and I know you wish it never happened. The truth is, if you had not had that awful, weird experience Maritzko, we would not be here right now with you about to solve one of the most heinous serial murders in Portland history. You  may have saved the lives of many young women."

She stopped and swallowed hard, trying to hold back any tears. At that moment, Angelo got up and left the room.

"You've been more helpful than you'll ever know. Thank you."

Angelo returned with a tissue box, and we all took turns grabbing a ply to dry our eyes. A sudden burst of short laughter broke out.

"I didn't expect to get emotional, let me tell you," Solomon said, and we laughed aloud.

"But what if the DNA isn't a match to his?" I asked, turning the mood back to a serious one.

 "Then, as we said earlier, we'll detain him and try to use what we have. Of course, If it goes to trial, then we have to subpoena you and any other valuable witness we need to put the son of a bitch behind bars." Angelo said.

"Right now, we need you to identify him in a lineup. And don't worry, they won't be able to see you through the glass. You can see them, but they can't see you." Solomon assured me, and I nodded.

They led me out into another room. This room was dark and much smaller than the previous one. In front of us was a window that stretched from one end of the room to the other. Behind the window was another room more massive than the one we were in, and on the wall facing us were lines that looked like a height measurement board. I soon found myself standing in the middle of a group of people.