1. the beginning of the end.

ACT ONE
(the beginning of the end)

VERONÍCA DRAMATICALLY flipped the sorry board over, sending the pieces flying as she whooped loudly. "That's right! That's right! Mama wins, again!"

"You've won twice." Rory spoke, giggling as the woman danced in a tiny circle across the table from him. Her joy contagious.

"Yeah, exactly. Twice! I beat the smartest little boy ever, twice."

"Yeah, yeah. Okay." As he brushed the woman off. Her smile grew as she marched around the table, beginning to tickle the boy; mocking his words.

His laughter filled the air as he tried, and failed, to stop the tickling. Thankfully for him, the tickling came to a halt as the front door loudly slammed closed.

Just by the way the door was shut, the pair already knew who it was. Aiden.

"Tio A, you won't believe this—Mom tried to kill me!" Rory's words earned a confused look from both the adults, causing him to continue. "Well, we laugh when we're tickled because that's the bodies way of screaming for help. So technically, officially, that was an attack."

"Okay... Why aren't you guys packing." Aiden said, already annoyed, for a reason that neither of the pair knew.

"What are you talking about?"

"You haven't seen?" Aiden took a pause before glancing towards the living room tv. "Of course you haven't. You don't have cable." He spoke aggravated, rubbing his eyes before walking to his sister's room. The duo close on his tail.

The mother-son duo watched in confusion as the man began rifling through the woman's closet. Only stopping when he found her suitcase.

He dramatically threw the suitcase on the edge of the bed, sighing heavily as he began throwing a variety of clothes in the suitcase. "Basically, to sum it up, it's the end of the world."

At his words, the woman couldn't help but turn to the eight year old to her side, both sharing a small laugh before looking back at the man.

"The end of the world?" She questioned, mockery clear in her tone.

"Yes. It's not a joke, Veroníca."

"But-but, the end of the world changes between religion so—"

"Not right now, Rory." Aiden spoke, his tone full of annoyance as he turned back to his sister. Who was looking at him with doubtful eyes. "You don't believe me? You—You... Maybe if you would stop messing around and look out the window— Maybe you would realize that everyone around you has— they've all turned... into cannibals."

As his voice began raising every word, the woman figured she would glance outside to humor the man. Seeing as it didn't seem like he was giving up this lie very easily.

So, forcing a smile onto her face, she responded to the man. "Fine. Fine." Her smile stayed present as she jokingly acted nervous, moving the curtain to look outside.

The sunlight seeped in as she glanced around the yard, touching each of the three's faces. She then dropped her smile letting go of the curtain.

"Wow. There's so many cannibals outside. We have to pack our bags right now! Let's go, Rory." The woman's voice was filled with sarcasm as she grabbed onto her son's hand. Pulling him down onto the bed, as they both began laughing loudly.

"Veroníca. Get the hell up."

When the woman ignored her brothers words he was quick to grab her arm, angrily pulling her to stand up before dragging her back towards her closet.

As he reached the door of the closet, the woman finally shrugged off his arm. "What the hell is your problem?"

"You. You're being my problem, right now. Please, please just pack a bag. Only stuff you need." The woman then squinted a bit at the man, before turning to her son.

"Ro, can you go pack a bag? Just like your uncle said, only clothes you need." As his mom smiled softly at him, he was quick to nod before jumping up and making his way to his room.

As soon as the boy was out of earshot, the woman turned to her brother with anger. "Never be aggressive towards me in front of him. That-that yanking me up shit, don't ever pull it again, okay? I'll pack a bag and go along with whatever you're talking about. But-but you will never treat a woman like that in front of him. Got it?"

Her brother's eyes widened a bit before he nodded. Almost letting out a sigh as she continued rambling. "He's a good kid—he doesn't need to see men struggling with their fragile masculinity."

Aiden ignored the words, before nodding once more. Muttering a fake apology before walking towards his nephew's room. Already prepared to help him pack.

-