Chapter 5

A month later

Luna pov:

I was currently sitting in Hannah's guest bedroom doing my math homework. Let me tell you something, math is awful. Like how am I supposed to know what x is? I groaned in frustration before deciding to give up and closing my book.

You may ask yourself what happened in the last month. Well, not much.

Dad found my note and immediately figured I was at Hannah's. When he for sure knew that he was right he allowed me to stay here as long as I needed to.

I talked to Nini last week and she told me that Ricky and dad do not talk to each other anymore, at least not more than necessary. I could not help but feel guilty. It was my fault that they were not on good terms anymore.

Ricky was always closer to my mother, maybe because she actually loved him. I on the other hand was always closer to my dad.

After a few more minutes of doing nothing, I decided to go on a walk. I got dressed in something other than pj's and ran down the stairs.

"I'm going to go on a walk ma" I told Hannah's mother. I have always called her parents ma and pa. Ever since I met her, I was especially attached to her mother.

"Be home before dinner sweetie" I heard pa yell back as an answer.

I smiled at that before quickly running out of the door. As soon as I left their neighbourhood, I put in my air pods to listen to music. I was happy to finally get some fresh air.

Up until now I was mentally not able to go outside, I had to be forced to go to school. Mostly because I was scared to see Ricky, not because I was scared of him, but because I knew he would give me the cold shoulder. That is exactly what happened.

I was also scared that he would treat me badly, but I guess that did not happen because he still saw me as his little sister.

I shook my head to stop thinking about what happened. I went outside to forget about my messed up life not to think about it even more. I walked around Salt Lake City for a little over an hour before I heard yelling.

"Don't be ridiculous, you are acting like my father."

That voice, I knew that voice. I took a few steps more towards the voice and then I saw him. Ricky was fighting with Nini?

"Have you seen how miserable your sister looks? I talked to her only once because I love you, but when I did, I had to keep myself from yelling at you. I am not saying she was right, but I am also not saying she was wrong. All I am asking you to do is talk to your sister for god's sake. Last time it solved your problems, so why shouldn't it this time."

"Because she is ruining our family. Everything was fine until she came back and all of the sudden my father won't even let me talk to my mom."

His words cut through me like a knife. It is my fault. Everything is my fault. I should just accept my faith and go to Chicago. Tell dad I was lying, and they could be happy without me.

I looked up to see Nini looking at me. She looked at me with concern before looking back at Ricky, who thankfully had not seen me.

"It's not her fault that your parents got a divorce. No matter what she did she was only 14, no 14-year-old should be told it is their fault their parents got divorced. This is not you, Ricky. I don't know what's happening with you, but until you realize that you're not being yourself we are done."

I quietly gasped at her words. "Fine" he said before just walking away without saying anything else.

As soon as he was out of sight I was pulled into a tight hug. "I'm so sorry you had to hear that" Nini told me while holding me.

She had always been like a big sister to me, since she was always around. "Thank you for defending me" I mumbled.

She smiled at my words "Always Luna. You are like a little sister to me and if Ricky acts like an idiot someone has to tell him the truth." "Does he hate me?" I questioned her.

The way she hesitated was enough of an answer for me.

"I get it, you don't have to lie to me." I tried to get out of her arms, but no matter what I tried she would not let go. "No Luna" she sternly told me. "He doesn't hate you. He is just too blinded by everything that has happened to hear your side of the story. I have no idea what happened, but I know the Ricky we both know and love would have never acted like this. He'll come to his senses and then he'll be the one to comfort you."

Ricky pov:

Everything in my life was going downhill.

My parents got a divorce, Nini broke up with me and god knows what Luna's problem is.  I just want my life to go back to the way it was before everything happened, before Luna went to New York.

All off the sudden my phone started ringing and I immediately picked up without looking at the caller id. "Hello Ricky" my mother said, which caused me to smile. "Hi Mom, how are you?"

"Good, are you doing well?" she asked. "Yes" I lied.

She was my mother though and picked up on my lie. "What happened Ricky? Why are you lying to me?" I sighed "Nini, she broke up with me because of what Luna said. She thinks I should talk to my sister before jumping to conclusions."

After a moment of silence, she spoke up. "She's right Ricky" she started with.

"You should talk to your sister and ask her why she is making all of this up. Maybe something happened in New York, like maybe she got bullied and feels like she has to lie to get attention." "That is not a bad idea mom, but I don't think she will want to talk to me. I don't even know where she has been staying for the last month" I told my mom

. "What do you mean with you don't know where she has been staying the last month?" she asked. "What I said. Luna hasn't been home since that night you visited."

A few seconds of silence followed before my mom complety changed the topic. "Well, I'm glad I could talk to you for a bit, but I got to go now. I love you, Ricky." "I love you too mom" I told her before hanging up.

I decided to text Nini.

Me: Hey, I know we just had a fight, but I relaized that you were right. I should have talked to my sister before getting mad. I want to try talking to Luna, but not at school and I have no idea where she is staying. Could you tell me where?

A few seconds later I got a response.

Nini: I am glad you realized your mistake and sorry I have no idea either. Just ask her at school tomorrow.

I sighed before turning off my phone and just laying on my back in my bed. Hopefully I'll find out what made Luna lie to all of us.

———
Anyone else here not a fan of math?

Also what do y'all think if Ricky in this chapter? And him talking to Lynne?

Every vote and comment means a lot to me