𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 30

Start from the beginning

I have nothing to do.  

I have nothing to do? 

Oh my God, I have nothing to do. 

I excitedly call Marty, ready to get home and lay on my couch. 

My phone starts ringing and I see mom's name flash across the screen. 

"Hi mom."

"Hey honey, can you-" she giggles and I slow down my pace, confused, she giggled ?

"Honey can you come home? W have some guests."  No, I rather lay on my couch, eating oreos, watching Clueless or reading!

"Do I really need to?" I ask, praying that she says no.  I see Marty pull up and I begin my walk to the car. 

"Yes honey! See you." she hangs up and I hear her giggle, again. 

Yes, I'm aware that my mom can giggle, but she never does.  So it's got me thinking. 

"Hi Marty, My parents-m-my mom's house." I stutter, I still say parent's house. Silly me.  

I stare out the window, not up for this trip home. I feel like locking myself up in my apartment, I don't feel like meeting 'guests' whoever they are. I look at the sky, dark with grey clouds, preparing for down pour onto New York's busy streets. 

---

"Sophia!" My mother rushes up to me, hugging me. She seems happier than normal. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just, confused? 

"Hi mom." I mumble, did I mention I don't want to be here? 

"Soph!" I hear my uncle's voice. Martin Rivera. Business man, best cook in the family. Mom doesn't need to know that. 

"Uncle Martin!" he pulls me into a side hug. 

"Congrats on the new line," That's the first time he's ever said that to me. 

"Thanks?" it comes out as a question. Won't you be confused if the family that never supported you, suddenly starts supporting you? 

"Where's aunt Vanessa?" I ask, in search of the sweet lady that taught me kindness goes a long way. 

"She- she isn't here." Huh?

"Oh." 

"Soph! I need to speak to you, right now." Shyla pulls me away from everyone, dragging me into her room. 

"Sophia!" I see Alex, my cousin, Martin's daughter. She's always so bubbly, but today she looked down. 

"Hey Alex, you okay?" I ask her and she simply nods.  But my attention is pulled to Shyla. 

"Why did you drag me up the stairs? and where's that bad boy?" I ask, referring to Sebastian. 

"I don't know, probably in his office." she shrugs, walking into her bathroom.  Technically sprinting but okay. 

"Alex, what's wrong?" I sit on Shyla's bed, next to her. 

"Promise you won't tell anyone?" she asks me. 

"I promise." She sighs, 

"I think my dad is cheating on my mom." she says. 

What is going on with these Rivera men? 

"What?" I ask and she shakes her head, conforming that I didn't imagine her saying that. 

"No," I shake my head in disbelief. 

"Uncle Martin wouldn't do that, not to Aunt Vanessa," 

"I'm sure Soph!" tears run down her cheeks and I immediately pull her into a hug, remembering how it felt when my dad cheated on my mom.