Chp. 20 Painting The Town...

In a deserted alleyway riddled with graffiti the girls tread onwards after the events that revealed Penny's secret.

Ruby: Penny I-I don't understand...

Penny: Most girls are born, but I was made. I'm the world's first synthetic person capable of generating an Aura. I'm not real...

Ruby: Of course you are. You think just because you've got nuts and bolts instead of squishy guts makes you any less real than me?

Penny: I don't... Um... You're... taking this extraordinarily well.

Ruby: You're not like those things we saw back there. You've got a heart, and a soul; I can feel it!

Penny: Ooohh... Oh Ruby.

Penny pulls Ruby into a large hug shaking her back and forth.

Penny: You're the best friend that anyone could have!

Ruby: (muffled) I can see why your father would want to protect such a delicate flower!

Penny: Oh, he's very sweet! My father's the one that built me! I'm sure you would love him!

Ruby: Wow. He built you all by himself?

Penny: Well, almost! He had some help from Mr. Ironwood.

Ruby: The General?! Wait... Is that why those soldiers were after you?

Penny: They like to protect me, too!

Ruby: They don't think you can protect yourself?

Penny: They're not sure if I'm ready yet... One day, it will be my job to save the world, but I still have a lot left to learn. That's why my father let me come to the Vytal Festival. I want to see what it's like in the rest of the world, and test myself in the Tournament.

Ruby: Penny, what are you talking about? Save the world from what? We're in a time of peace!

Penny: (confused) That's not what Mr. Ironwood said...

Solider 1: Check down here!

Penny: You have to hide!

Penny picks her up and carries her towards a dumpster, Ruby struggling to free herself.

Ruby: Penny, wait! What are you doing? You don't have to go with them! I can help you!

Penny throws Ruby into the trash but opens the lid slightly so the togirls can still talk.

Penny: It's okay, Ruby. They're not bad people; I just don't want to get you in trouble. Just promise me you won't tell anyone else my secret. Okay?

Ruby: I promise.

Ruby lowers her head into the garbage as the lid is put down, but she lifts it a little to peek at the scene outside.

Soldier 1: There she is!

Penny: Sal-u-tations, officers!

Solider 1: Why were you running? And what happened to the other girl?

Penny: What girl? I've been by myself all day! *hiccup*.

Solider 1: You shouldn't cause such a scene.

Solider 2: Are you okay?

She shows the solider the now exposed metal from the scrapes on her palms.

Penny: Just a scratch.

Solider 1: Penny, your father isn't going to be happy about this.

Solider 2: Please, just come with us.