Chapter 29: Effortlessly

Start from the beginning

He swept my hair away from my face and tucked it behind my ear as his eyes shifted to my shoulder and his expression darkened, his grip on my waist tightening. Slowly, I lay my palm on the side of his face, attempting to divert his focus away from my injury. "I'm Alright, Matteo, it's only a scratch"

"Why did you leave the fucking estate without my knowledge?"

"I'm sorry, I thought--," he held my chin firmly.

"You thought wrong. What would I have done if you had been harmed more? You could've been fucking shot," His words took a few moments to sink in. He kissed my cheek as he brushed away my tears. Despite his obnoxious demeanour, he is concerned. It's also adorable that he was afraid of losing me.

"Can we go, I'm tired," I ask, and he gives me a soft kiss before saying, "I have to talk to the officers, then we can leave, gattina." I agree with him and smile.

I return to his car as I observe him conversing with the cops alongside Diego. It's mind-boggling how everything is changing. I'm not sure if this is a good or negative change. It is difficult to tell what is impossible because yesterday's dream is today's hope and tomorrow's reality.

Ruby approaches me and gives me a side hug. "Are you all right?" I smiled and nodded, putting my head on her shoulder.

"I was considering applying to universities. I wish to pursue a career in law. Perhaps I can assist people who are in need" Ruby agrees with me and grins. "Have you discussed it with Matteo, isn't he your...boyfriend?"

"I'm not sure either---"

I was about to continue when I was jerked and a cold metal object pressed against my skull, causing my breath to stutter. When I looked up, I saw the same person who had failed to flee holding me tightly against him. As I glanced at Ruby, who was equally terrified, tears streamed down my cheeks.

Ruby pleaded, "Please let her go," as she made a step closer, but he pressed the pistol farther into my skull.

Everyone's attention was drawn to the words "Stay back or she'll die!" When I look over, I see the cops aiming their weapons at me. My gaze is drawn to Matteo, who is pointing his gun towards the man who is holding a weapon to my head.

"Matteo King! Why can't you simply let her die? Then the black list won't have to go through all of this nonsense for one pitiful, weak girl," Matteo's jaw was clenched in rage, but he gently nodded at me, comforting me that everything would be alright. I closed my eye's, trying to calm my beating heart.

I opened my eyes to see Matteo make a gesture in the air, and then a gunshot rang out, and the man who was holding me fell to the ground. When I turned around, I realised Diego was the one who fired the shot from behind. Ruby arrived promptly and assisted me in regaining my composure. My body shook as I stared at the lifeless figure in front of me.

Matteo pulls my head towards his chest, hiding my view of the dead body while stroking my hair. "I'm here, gattino," he took away my pain and made me feel safe. I sniffled quietly, tears threatening to spill from my eyes.

"Matteo, I'll take care of everything. I think you should take her away from here," Matteo kisses my head as he picks up my trembling body, agreeing with Diego. I bury my face in his neck, knowing that I am protected in his arms.

He gently placed me in his car, but I hesitated to let him go because I was afraid that if I did, something horrible would happen, and I didn't feel secure. I mutter, "Please don't let me g-go." He kisses my brow and carries me to the driver's seat, where he places me on his lap. As he drove, the car was silent, and I fell asleep in his arms as he stroked my hair.