𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐁𝐄𝐆𝐈𝐍𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐒 𝐀𝐑𝐄𝐍'𝐓 𝐀𝐋𝐖𝐀𝐘𝐒 𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐄

Start from the beginning

"Was that your blonde friend?" James questioned, sliding the compartment door open. Remus' fingers trailed over their etched initials on right next to the handle.

"I don't know." He answered, his mind trailing off to the scene he had witnessed yesterday morning. Remus was sitting in his room, preparing his trunk for Hogwarts when he heard a door close shut. Being alone in the house, his first thought was that someone had broken in, when he remembered that he lived in what could only be described as a village. It was more likely to get mauled by an angry goose than to be robbed. He ignored the sound, until he heard a loud cry, full of agony. His head snapped to the left and that was when noticed the open window that led to Callisto's room. He inched closer to the ledge when he saw her, lying on the floor. Her back was turned to him but her sobs were loud enough for him to listen. He observed as she angrily packed her things and got out of the room, carrying her trunks behind. A minute passed and he could clearly make out her figure walking down the street. He hadn't heard what had happened other than what he had seen with his own eyes, but it didn't take a genius to figure out that Callisto's frail relationship with her parents had been completely destroyed.

Remus leaned back on his seat and pulled "The Lord of the Rings" from his backpack. After his discussion with Callisto about muggle books he had felt the need to read the book again and surely enough, the blonde wasn't wrong. He had read the book for the first time during his second year and he hadn't really appreciated the depth of the plot. Five years older and probably wiser, he could tell that he had misjudged Frodo's adventure.

"He's reading again." Sirius whispered dramatically, pretending to act shocked when Remus raised his head from the book. "Go back to your elves, Moonpie. I'm sorry for the disruption."

"No, he's not." Peter commented, using his sweater as a pillow.

"Are you doubting my husband's intentions Mr. Wormtail?" James accused, covering Sirius' ears with his palms. "He's sensitive, Peter, we've talked about this!"

"Sorry, I forgot." Peter whispered back, giving a thumbs up to Sirius. Remus rolled his eyes and looked out of the small compartment window. The train began to move and he let out a sigh, going back to where he had left his book off. He knew that the others were chatting, but after staying in the same room with them for six years he had managed to block out their voices at will; a skill that was particularly useful.

"How long can someone go without food, Moony?" James questioned, an overly tired expression in his face.

"Around 10 days if properly hydrated, Prongs..." Remus answered, shaking his head. "Judging from the amount of saliva you're wasting, I'd say you're on thin ice."

"Oh nerd burn!" Peter commented, his lips forming an o shape. James narrowed his eyes and fell dramatically back, his head landing on Remus' lap and he let out an exaggerated sigh.

"I see stars, Moony..." He whispered, a blank expression in his hazel eyes. Remus shook his head, recalling how the same scene had been playing out every single year when they boarded the train. The young werewolf couldn't really comprehend if James' appetite increased every time he entered the train or if he was just bored since he couldn't be as energetic as usual in the confined space and wanted to do something to pass the time. Either way, Remus always ended up chasing after the Trolley Lady to take supplies for his "famished" friend.

"That is actually quite correct, Prongs." Sirius tilted his head up, a satisfied smile on his lips. "I'm sure you remember that Sirius is an asterisk."

"Really?" Peter inquired incredulously. "Who could have guessed that after hearing you bragging about it for the 673rd time since we met?"

James groaned, shooting up. "Hello? Starving friend in the bloody compartment? Where is your sense of chivalry?"