Chapter 11

"Do you have everything?"

Akashi walked into the living room, carrying a small bag stuffed with necessities. He was wearing a button-down, long-sleeved red shirt with its collar folded and navy washed jeans. A loose tie was tied lazily around his neck, which would be fixed later. His red hair, already quite short, was combed neatly. An unknown gold ring sat coldly on his ring finger of his right hand.

"Hai." Kuroko tied his left basketball shoe before straightening to face the red-head. He was wearing the same clothes he had worn the day he escaped from his mother, but they were washed, repaired, and cleaned. Unlike his outfit from the other day though, Kuroko wore a black scarf, given by Akashi. "Oh, is Akashi-kun going somewhere? You are dressed formally." He was talking about Akashi's choice of clothing.

"Yes, but it will be after you leave." Akashi gave Kuroko the bag. The blue-head looked at it questioningly. "Your father has mentioned he is running out of first-aid supplies, and he cannot buy some without being discreet. Keep this in your room at all times, and hide it from Ibuki."

"Yes," Kuroko said obediently. He slung the backpack over his shoulder, wincing as he did so.

Three, heavy knocks came from the front door. The two looked over in unison. "That should be your father," Akashi murmured, striding toward the door. He opened it abruptly. True enough, Kuroko Haru stood anxiously at the threshold, his similar eyebrows furrowed low. "Tetsuya!" the father cried, not bothering to greet Akashi, and rushed into the house to embrace his son. "Thank goodness. Are you well? Did you eat?" Haru hugged Kuroko hard, patting the teal head while rubbing his back at the same time.

"Ah, Otou-san," Kuroko said. His pale arms wrapped gently around his father. "I am well, and yes, I ate."

"Are you sure?" Haru patted his hands over Kuroko's face, shoulders, chest, and back. When he got to his stomach, the smaller winced. "You're hurt, aren't you? Is it your bones? Bruises? Cuts? Is your head okay? You can walk, right? Do you need to re-wrap something?"

Akashi walked behind the father and put his hand on his shoulder. "He is fine, Haru-san. Please give him space."

Haru looked up to the red-head and blinked. "Akashi-kun," he said. The man straightened and turned toward the teen. "Ah . . ." Haru pressed his lips together in a straight line, before surprising the two basketball players by suddenly bowing low to Akashi. "Thank you very much for taking care of Tetsuya!" Kuroko's father said toward the ground. "I regret to have given you such a burden."

Akashi tilted his head, amused. "Haru-san, you really shouldn't bow so low to people younger than yourself."

Haru raised his head and put a hand on Kuroko's shoulder. "No, I have to show my appreciation. Without you, I—I," the tall man took a deep, shuddering breath. "I really do not know what would become of Tetsuya."

Akashi studied Kuroko's father. Understanding how the man felt completely, he nodded ever so slightly at the thanks. "I see where Tetsuya gets his overly polite manners," he raised an eyebrow at Kuroko. The teal-haired boy looked down. "It was not a burden. Tetsuya has healed well during his time here." Akashi gazed at Kuroko's ribs, where a number of bruises were left. "I trust he will be safe for a few days?"

Haru hesitated. "Yes. I will do my all to keep Tetsuya away from Ibuki's anger."

"Hm." Akashi went up to Kuroko and put his hands on the slim shoulders. "You know Daiki's and Shintaro's phone numbers," he said. "I will most likely be in Kyoto the next time you call me. If you need any of us to come to your aid, call them first." He looked into Kuroko's blank eyes. "Understand?"

"Yes," Kuroko said quietly.

Haru watched the exchange curiously, and wondered what the real relationship between his son and Akashi was. "We should get going, now," Haru announced. He turned toward his son. "Is everything ready?"