Chapter 20

Kuroko felt his muscles tense when the car turned into the Tokyo Prefacture Court building. A tall and wide building stretched out before his eyes through the window, and he found himself clutching the car seat, his nails digging into the leather. Akashi noticed, however, and gently removed his hands and placed it into his lap. Kuroko didn't protest.

After a few minutes of driving around to find parking, Akashi's driver finally drove the car into a small, secluded place. The car door opened; Akashi out first, Kuroko second. Haru parked not too far from them, and he came jogging over to Kuroko, along with his colleagues. Murasakibara and Midorima followed up behind.

"Kuro-chin," Murasakibara dug into his jean pockets and pulled out a chocolate bar. He handed it out to Kuroko. "Here. Aka-chin said you didn't have breakfast."

Kuroko blinked at the purple-head's kind gesture, even if a chocolate bar was unhealthy for breakfast. "Thank you, Murasakibara-kun." He took it.

Midorima coughed and pushed up his glasses before awkwardly walking before the teal-head. "I also brought you your lucky item, since you obviously don't follow Oha-Asa's daily fortune." His bandaged hand held out an ice cream key chain. Kuroko thanked him fervently and took it.

Haru came close to his son and pulled him into a small one-armed hug. "Are you all right?"

"I am fine, Otou-san." The lie came out easily.

"You finally arrived, Seijuro." A woman's voice had all of them turning. Rin, Hayato, Kagami, Kise, and Aomine were walking quickly their way, faces grim but ready. Aomine and Kise were in their formal suits, while Rin and Hayato were in their standard attorney outfit. Akashi was dressed similarily as his father.

"The ride from Kyoto was long," Akashi said. "Have you made the copies?"

"Aside from the copies you've made from the other day, yes. I have another two of each; one for the police and the other for the jury," Rin clutched her briefcase tighter, as if the evidence in it would disappear if she held it too loose.

Hayato frowned. "Are you sure you want your mother to be your attorney?. . . I could fulfill the role just as well." There was a hint of jealousy.

"Stop being a brat, Hayato," Rin scoffed. "Of course Seijuro would pick me. I did raise him after all."

"It is nothing against you, Father," Akashi cut in. "I only picked Mother because she is more aggressive in court."

"And I am not?"

The red-head teen only sighed and straightened his outfit. "Mother is more of a match to deal with Ibuki. That is all."

Kagami scowled at how out of place he felt and focused his attention toward Kuroko. "Oi, Kuroko. You all right? You look pale."

"Thank you, but I am all right." Kuroko wondered if he did really look paler than usual. "However, Kagami-kun, you shouldn't be involved with this."

The red-head snorted. "Don't give me that crap, Kuroko. You're just lucky Seirin doesn't know about this."

"And they will not know about it," Akashi indirectly threatened.

"Kurokocchi~!" Kise bounded over and hugged the smaller teen fiercely. Kuroko cringed. "The ride here was awful, Kurokocchi! Aominecchi was being all mean, and he didn't let me sit up front! Even when I called it! Isn't that unfair? Neh, isn't it? Aren't you supposed to be able to sit in shotgun if you called it? But Aominecchi said that since he was taller than me, he would sit up front! He's only taller by three centimeters! That's cheating right? Right? I mean—"

Kise's blabber stopped suddenly. In fact, all small chatter among the large group silenced. Kuroko, confused as to why it got silent, struggled out of Kise's arms and turned to where everybody stared. Once he did, Kuroko also went still and silent.

Betrayal in its simplest formजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें