16: The Right Mistake

- Win's POV -

I can't relax. My fingers are fidgeting and my legs are shaking.

I look at my surroundings and everything seems scaringly familiar --- the gray skies, the people at the park, and most importantly, the clothes Thitipoom is wearing right now as he greets his customer with a sweet smile.

I look to my right and a few meters away, my boss --- who we, her subordinates, call Madam --- is buying coned sorbets at the nearby vendor -- you know, those vendors with metallic pushcarts to keep the sorbets cold in tropical weather.

What's with cupids and sweets, anyway? All I know is that when I came into existence, all the people in the  Bureau talked about this delicious dessert humans' made and how I need to try it as soon as I stepped on this earth.

Which I did.

And now, I'm addicted to it. Just like everybody else.

But I don't think even the most delicious and expensive ice cream can calm me right now.

My eyes roam around, hoping to see the face that I know will calm me down. This is the first time in a very, very long time that I feel unsure if he'll come to save me again.

"Your Azrali friend isn't coming, Amos  212299." 

I look in the direction of the voice and sees my boss approaching me with one cone of sorbet on each hand. She gives me one as she takes the free space on the bench. I observe her as she takes a lick on her dessert.

"If you're not going to eat it, give it to that kid who's been eyeing me since I sat here," my boss said as she looks ahead to the cafe.

I look for the kid she's talking about until my eyes land on my left. I see a little girl in cute pigtails, sitting on the lap of her mom who's busy talking to her amiga, with round, pleading eyes eyeing the dessert on my hand.

I guess she's too shy to ask her mom for one.

I smile at her as I extend the sorbet to her.

My heart has somehow calmed down as soon as a huge smile appears on her face. She extends her small hands as she takes the dessert, "Thank youuuu!" she says with her small, cute voice.

Her mom looks at me with a confused face.

I smiled at her but she just turns to her kid, "Where did you get it?"

"From Mr. Handsome!" The kid chimes as she points at me. I almost pinch her cheeks when her mom takes away the sorbet and throws it on the ground, "Don't go accepting food or anything from strangers, honey, okay? Come on, let me just buy you one," she then picks up her kid and leaves.

Huh. I guess my boss is currently using her magic to not let her see us.

As soon as the mother and daughter leaves, fear starts creeping back in again. I look ahead, mimicking my boss' position.

I know how this is going to end. I will be punished. I will be sent away. Or maybe even worse, I'll be forced to do something I am not built for.

I never even said a proper goodbye to Bright.

I haven't told him a lot of things yet.

Things like how thankful I am for everything he has done for me. 

For helping me solve my problems. 

For helping me escape them.

For being there when I badly need someone to lean and rely on.