01: The Inania

- Win's POV -

My name is Win.

Well, actually, I don't have a name. "Win" is the name given to me by my friend. He said it fits me so well since humans have this saying, "Love always wins." Corny, right? Tsk. But, hey, it's better than being called Amos 210299. Wordy, as my friend had it.

Anyway, I'll have you all know that I am a cupid. A cute one, too. First things you should know about me - I don't look like a baby with curly blonde hair, I am not naked, and I don't have wings. In short, I do not look like what humans had been made to believe we look. I look just like you! A human! But in my case, I was created to be a man. There are a lot of us here on earth. You might have seen a lot of us everywhere - a kid playing bubbles in the park, a woman reading a book while sipping from her caramel macchiato inside a coffee shop, an old man sitting in front of his house who seems to be enjoying the view. We might look like normal humans to you but we are actually not and we are sent here from the Inania with a mission.

The Inania is where every human being's affair is made, strategized, and decided - birth, death, relationships, everything. It is a place everywhere and nowhere at the same time. It has no concept of time, no concept of light and dark, day and night, and rest. It's not that we need it, but still, I'm sometimes jealous of humans who get to have rest days from their jobs and just enjoy a full day doing what they want.

I belong to the Bureau of Amarenis, the department in charge of romance.

Now, you might be wondering, what in the world Cupids do? To answer your question, we were deployed here to your world because you, humans, badly need love in this chaotic world you created. It's my job to shoot an arrow straight into your heart. But I'm not going to kill you! Oh no, that's not my job at all!

You see, my job is to see to it that destined humans fall in love. How does it work? Let me give you an overview.

The Aphrosias are the ones who decide which humans should be paired. They look through your personalities and compatibilities with each other. They also look through the records from your past romantic lives. They also put into consideration the alignment of the stars and the planets in the galaxy on the day you were born. It is a deliberate process that I cannot explain fully because well, I'm not there yet. I still have a lot of stairs to climb to reach the position of being an Aphros. Right now, I'm just a cupid, but so far I'm enjoying the job.

Now, after the process of matchmaking, the Hermanis, Inania's messengers, meet with us and give us cards. These cards contain names of matched humans, and receiving them initiates the execution of our jobs.

Cupids or Amosis as we are called in Inania handle one couple at a time. So for those still waiting, just stay put. We'll get to you. Now, once we know the names of the humans, we make things happen to make their worlds collide and once we put them in one place, that's when we draw our bow and shoot them to their hearts with our arrows. These arrows are connected with a red thread which only beings from Inania can see. Once we have them bound with the love thread, we have three months to help them fall in love and strengthen the bond.

Don't get it wrong. Labels do not exactly matter to us for that is just a human notion. We would know once the thread becomes unbreakable when we see it shine bright because the two hearts had already accepted their fates.

Failure to strengthen the bond within three months will break the thread and make the magic gone. When that happens, we need to wait another lifetime to be able to reconnect them.

Right now, I am in the middle of a city called Bangkok, the capital of Thailand. I am seated in one of the benches stationed in a place called Lumphini Park, having a wide view of the city and surrounded by nature, while waiting for my friend.