08: The Drive Home

- New's POV -

"Good mood, boss?"

I looked at the man beside me. I felt my cheeks constricting and I suddenly brought down my smile and furrowed my eyebrows.

Tsk. P'Podd and his awfully instinctive self.

"I'm alright." I shrugged and continued putting the baked goods in the display cabinet. I tried to be nonchalant and chill but still, I got caught by P'Podd's hawk eyes.

"'Alright'? No, boss. You look more than alright. You look like you're on cloud nine! You've been humming ever since I got here!" He crossed his arms and look at me scrutinizingly. 

I have?

I was about to put the last cream-cheese-filled bread when I stopped midway when I realized that yeah, I have been humming the song Jump Then Fall by Taylor Swift for a while now which was the last song I played. 

My face went crimson red as I felt embarrassed.

But should I really be embarrassed, though?

It's not like receiving a 'good morning' message from a handsome guy happens to me all the time.

Yup, that's right. That asshole took two weeks before asking for my number. About damn time!

But still, better late than never, right?

Not that I'm any better myself. I never even made the first move. Two weeks and I all I did was serve him drinks and snacks and have a little conversation with him from time to time whenever we're not busy. He was even the one who struck those conversations!  

"See? You're not just alright. You look happy! Like, really happy! It's been a while since I saw you that happy, boss! Is this about the handsome, hot, nerdy guy that comes in here every day? " I looked at  P'Podd and he was beaming at me like a proud father as he wiggled his eyebrows.

Argh. I put the last bread inside and closed the lid of the display cabinet.

I rolled my eyes at him and went to the kitchen. I put down the tray and went to the employee's comfort room. I have a little bit of time before we open and I don't want to spend my time waiting, looking like a fool especially around P'Podd. 

I put down the seat cover of the bowl and fished my phone out of the right pocket of my jeans. My hand automatically led me to the messaging app and I pressed on his name absentmindedly. 

'Tay Tawan'

I propped my left elbow up on my knee and rested my left cheek on my knuckles as I read our latest exchange.

From: Tay Tawan

Hi, Newwiee! Good morning!

To: Tay Tawan

Argh, that nickname again. Can you drop it already? It's the name of the cat! Not mine!

From: Tay Tawan

Can't. Sorry. It's too adorable not to be used for you. Plus you look like an adorable kitten yourself.

I slightly chuckled and bit my lower lip as I shook my head in disbelief.

Yeah, I'm feeling giddy just by reading the word adorable. What the hell is wrong with me?!

To: Tay Tawan

Whatever, mister. Just got here in the cafe. Got to go. I have to bake.

From: Tay Tawan