|CHAPTER THIRTEEN|

Give me credit or not. I give a lot, give a lot, but don't you speak for me.

Use My Voice, Evanescence.

My shoulder throbs as I wake to raised voices.

"She's fucking bleeding from her shoulder! And that's because of you!" I hear from behind me. Gradually coming back to consciousness, I notice my head resting on someones legs and that I'm laid down.

"I wasn't aiming for the girl. She jumped in front of the Soldier, and I couldn't pull my hand away quick enough." A calmer, accented voice attempts to diffuse the anger coming from behind me. "You still got her! She's bleeding all over Steve's hand!" The voice behind me was Sam, and he was obviously very peeved with the whole situation. Drawing my attention to the incessant throb in my shoulder, I realise someone is holding pressure to it. I gently open my eyes and above me, I see a concerned Steve gazing back at me. Voices still argue with one another, but I don't pay any heed, focussing entirely on the pain emanating in my shoulder.

"Hey kid." He says upon seeing me awake and his shoulders seem to relax slightly. The pressure on my shoulder lessens slightly. "How are you feeling?" Peering down at my shoulder, he doesn't see my face turn into a grimace. Before I can answer Steve, Sam's boisterous voice cuts into the conversation.

"She awake, Cap?" The falcon's voice had lost its harsh edge, concern replacing it.

"Yeah, she's awake." I answer, drawing out the she. Without wasting another moment, I gingerly place my hand on my shoulder, putting pressure on top of Steve's hand as I try to sit myself up. Getting myself upright, I finally notice what we had been travelling in. There were three rows of seats, separated by caged walls. In front of me, sat the Cat-Man, whose eyes remained firmly ahead, not even glancing back to those of us behind him. Steve and I were in the next compartment, I notice the blood from my shoulder had leaked onto the floor. Which only meant Sam could be in the compartment behind us.

"I don't think you should be sitting up." Steve warily states. A fuzziness lingers in my brain, a feeling that increased upon sitting upright. "You're as white as a sheet." The worry in his voice is more poignant than any other emotion.

"I'll be fine." I promise, and lean my head on Steve's shoulder, trying to erase the blurriness that had seemed to invade my vision. It's quiet after that, only the rumble of the car sounding throughout the vehicle. At least until Sam decided to open his mouth.

"So...you like cats?" I roll my eyes at the Falcon's question, though there was an edge to his voice that seemed to sound more guttural than questioning.

"Sam." Steve warns, also having noticed the tone.

"What?" He deadpans, his voice remaining monotonous. "Dude shows up, dressed like a cat, injures Elena, and you don't want to know more?" Though his voice was dark, that was a sarcastic lilt to it, making a ghost of a smile graze my face. Steve remains silent and I feel him shift slightly. Looking towards the Captain, I see his eyes lingering on my shoulder.