|CHAPTER ELEVEN|

Soldier keep on marching on. Head down till the work is done. Waiting till the morning sun, soldier keep on marching on.

Soldier, Fleurie.

I follow Steve down the stairs, leaving the group confused with the Captain's reaction

I follow Steve down the stairs, leaving the group confused with the Captain's reaction. He leans against one of the bannisters of the stairs, fingers pinching against the bridge of his nose. Without saying anything, I walk up to him and wrap him in a warm hug. At first, he doesn't react, then one of his arms slowly snake around my shoulders, clutching onto me tightly.

"I'm sorry Steve." I mumble into his shirt. There were no more words that needed to be said, just needing to be there for him. Pulling away he begins to walk towards his room in the compound.

"I've got to go to London. For the funeral." His voice sounds defeated, so different from the usually stoic Captain.

"I'm coming with you." I promise him. He halts his steps, and I know exactly what's going to come out of his mouth.

"Kid.." He begins, but I don't let him finish, already having made up my mind.

"Steve, you're hurting, and as your friend I want to be there for you. I'm not letting you go alone." My decision had been made, and no one was going to be able to convince me otherwise.

"You know she's right." A voice sounds from behind me. Turning, I see Sam perched at the top of the stairs. No doubt Sam had also invited himself. "We're coming with you." He furthers, and not having the energy to argue, Steve agrees, heading to his room to pack a bag.

"He'll be alright won't he?" I ask the Falcon, concern leaking into my voice.

"Course. It may take a while though." He explains. From what Steve had told me, Peggy had been his spark back in the 40s, and upon going in the ice, lost his chance of having a life with her. Something he deeply grieved, though he never explicitly said. Following the Captain's lead I head up to my own room and begin packing my blue duffel bag with the essentials, hoping we wouldn't be gone for more than a few days.

"So you're going with Steve?" My sister's voice asks from the doorway.

"Yeah, he needs people with him right now." Seeing a suitable black dress for the funeral, I grab it and gently fold it into the bag, hoping it won't get crinkled.

"You just woke up after collapsing for reasons we don't know and you want to go gallivanting with Steve?" She asks, her worry evident in the tremor of her voice. Zipping up the bag, I turn to her, and see her arms crossed over her chest.

"Wanda, I'll be fine. Both Steve and Sam are going." Seeing that she wouldn't move from her current perspective, I walk up to her and unwrap her crossed arms. "It'll only be a few days." I try to compromise. Her eyes bore into mine, searching for any sign of hesitancy. She gives in, wrapping her arms around me.