|CHAPTER FIFTEEN|

Do you walk in the valley of kings? Do you walk in the shadow of men who sold their lives to a dream? Do you ponder the manner of things in the dark?

Glitter and Gold, Barns Courtney

My head is pounding. I don't open my eyes, listening to the sounds around me. I can hear the drip of a nearby tap, and I can feel my hands secured tightly behind my back, feel a sturdy chair underneath me. Running my awareness over my body, my mind halts at my neck. The collar is clasped around it. There is no essence of my abilities running under my skin. I let out a whine of pain, of defeat. Looking though my memories, I try to pinpoint where I am, who had brought me here. All I can see are flashes. Metal spearing concrete. Yellow flowing over my fingers. Water and darkness.

Deciding to take a chance I open my eyes to find I'm in an abandoned room. Looking to my left, I see Winter hunched over, his metal arm locked in under some massive weight. I hear shuffling footsteps and turn to the entryway of the room. Of all the people I'd expected to appear, I did not expect Sam, who glances over to Winter, who groans, taking all of Sam's attention. I remain as still as possible, not entirely sure what is going on.

"Hey Cap!" He calls out, nothing Winter finally waking up. Then I see Steve walking in behind the Falcon, his attention following Sam's jerk towards Winter.
"Steve." Winter states, having noticed the Captain standing in front of him.

"Which Bucky am I talking to?" He demands of Winter, making me flinch slightly at his tone, though I still make no noise. I close my eyes, the headache becoming worse the longer I keep my eyes open, and I return to the position I woke up in.

"Your mum's name was Sarah." Winter says wistfully, I can't remember the last time I heard him use that tone and he chuckles lightly. "You used to wear newspapers in your shoes." That was something I didn't know about Steve.

"Can't read that in a museum." Steve admits, and with my eyes closed, I'm unable to determine what is going on, but at the same time, I didn't want to expose myself to early, not entirely sure why I was locked up.

"Just like that, we're supposed to be cool?" Sam asks rhetorically.

"What did I do?" Winter interrupts.

"Enough." Steve answers, solemnly.

"Where's Elena?" He asks frantically, having not seen me yet.

"She's over there. We didn't know what to do with her." Sam states and I can feel eyes on me but don't dare to move. "She was working with you, didn't even seem to recognise us." He explains, making my mind slow down.

"Oh, god. I knew this would happen." Winter breathes out, defeatedly. "Everything HYDRA put inside of me - inside of her - it's all still there. All he had to do was say the goddamn words." He states, and my mind goes blank. I couldn't remember HYDRA putting something in me other than the horrible yellow serum.