Chapter 17: The Dinner Date 🍝

His eyes raised up at my sudden change of subject. He didn't expect me to ask about her.
"Who?" I don't know if he was, or he played dumb.

"Rania. You know a lot about Adam. I don't know a bit about her except that she decorated our bedroom." I added.

"You knew she decorated the bedroom?" Sohail was surprised, his mouth hung open in amusement. I nodded. The waiter walked over and glided the menu in front of both of us. "Let's see," Sohail said.

I went through the menu and my popped out at the prices, this was what I have always hated about expensive restaurant. The rates are high as if the plates are made of gold. It's just food and they just cook it. After going back and forth through the menu. I finally decided to have Alfredo pasta, after we both were done Sohail raised his hand and the waiter eventually came up. "Yes, Sir."

"A beef steak and rice for me, and Alfredo for the lady with extra white sauce." Sohail said, the waiter left of with a nod and I turned back to Sohail.

"So you were telling me about Rania?" I started again.

"I wasn't telling you anything, you assumed that part on your own." He smirked.

"Come on, be a man. Speak up." I insisted.

"What do you want me to say? Cause there's nothing much. But still if that makes you feel any better, I'll tell you this for the first and last time, okay?" He asked, I excitedly nodded and waited for him for start.

"I can't believe you're making me talk about her on our first date." Sohail chuckled.

"Well, I promise I'm not a jealous type wife?" I said. He passed a faint smile.

"Rania and I had been together for eight months. I came back from abroad after completing my PHD. I took over Dad's business and worked hard into bringing it in one of the top business companies, Rania's father and Dad have been business associates. So he insisted at I help Rania learn about business, thats how we met and got to know each other. We both thought we liked each other and when our parent proposed the idea to getting us married we didn't object. Things proceeded forward until our wedding day. On the very day she decided that she was being unreasonable and this whole thing might be a temporary infatuation. That's when you came into my life and here we are." Sohail ended his story, I nodded taking each and every word he said.

"That's romantic, you guys sound like some adorable people who fell in love at first sight but what I don't understand is that why did she quit? That to on her own wedding day?"

"We werent in love. We just found each other suitable enough for each other. Well I assume not all girls are giddy about their wedding.. perhaps some of them are horrified." He chuckled and brushed of the topic cause the waiter placed food in front of us.

My stomach twisted and mouth drooled at the sight of white sauce dripping out of my Alfredo pasta. Ohhh! I grabbed my spoon dug inside and got myself a bite. "Uhmmmm..hmmv" I moaned and looked at Sohail smirking at me. I hid back my blush and just had another bite when my phone rang.

It was Adam, oh my god.. it was him with the worst timing in the world. I dismissed his call but then it rang again, "I don't mind. Pick it." Sohail insisted, although he didn't know it was Adam and didn't want to tell him it was him.

Placing the phone to my ear, I answered. "Asalamualaikum, Samreen. I'm sorry for bothering you at this moment but I just.. you there?" He asked, making me wonder that if he had finished it would have been a lot easier.

"WalaikumaSalam Aunty Adamina.. no no you can call me whenever you want." I insisted. I just wanted him to end this conversation sooner, I looked up to see Sohail slicing his steak and having a bite from it.

"Wanna try?" He offered. I really wanted to, its always hard choice between Alfredo and steak. I don't know what got into me but I nodded. I thought Sohail would cut a slice and place it in my plate but he didn't. Instead he held the fork for me, he was going to feed me. Why did I say yes to this?

"Oh my my.. are you busy? I'll call you later." Adam insisted. I was too busy, with Sohail pointing the fork at me. I leaned forward and had a bite.

"Want more?" He asked, it was delicious but too awkward so I shook my head and focused on my phone call.

"No no aunty, I'm just outside please tell me what it is." I didn't want him calling me again and again, at least not when I'm around Sohail, which most of time I am.

"Actually I wanted to talk about changing the theme of the wedding. We chose modern, before but now Amna wants it classical and antique. I just wanted to make sure if I will be charged extra for that cause recently that's all I could manage." He explained.

"Yes, Aunty. I'll make sure they do what you want, okay?" Adam chuckled on the other side of phone and I couldn't help but smile.

"Thank you. That really means a lot I mean you taking all the trouble for me, usually the restaurant's don't reserve themselves for wedding on the last moment but you've been really helpful."

"No worries Aunty Adamina. Anytime." I added.

"Really, Adamina? Is that even a name." He laughed, I giggled.

"Okay, great talking to you aunty. Take care Allah Hafiz." I kept the phone aside and my eyes drew to Sohail's plate who was empty by now, and was sipping from his cold drink. I didn't even realise the waiter came and kept them here.

"So?" Sohail sighed.

I looked down at my food. "Just a minute." I said with a small smile and ate from my pasta. My eyes drew to my cold drink. "How did you know I liked this one?" I don't drink soft drinks unless it's Pepsi.

"I saw you having it on our wedding I guess." He shrugged. I flashed a smile and had my food. Soon the waiter came up, collected the empty plates and cans and gently glided the bill in front of Sohail. Sohail took out his wallet, paid and stood up.

"Thank you for the dinner." I said standing on my heels and suddenly I was reminded of them, that I had to walk back to car in them and my smile dropped down.

"You're always welcome." He gave me his genuine smile and nodded. He stretched out his hand, I slipped mine into his and walked to the gate. "Why don't you wait here?" Sohail asked.

"That would be wonderful." I said but then again Sohail looked around.

"No it's almost midnight. Come with me." With our hands interwined. We silently walked to our car and drove home.