“Please, do not harm her.” Garrett pleaded.

The man scraped a cut on the girl’s cheek with the edge of his sword as we heard her piercing scream.

            “Help me Garrett!” The girl cried with fright.

            “What will it take for you to give the girl up?” Garrett asked frantically.           

The man spoke in a gruff and deep voice. I knew by his dialect that he was uneducated, a common man, though he seemed to know how to fight rather well I reckon.

            “I ‘preciate a good barter.”

The man’s gaze strayed to mine. Mitch noticed and drew out his sword only to be responded to the thirty enemies drawing their weapons. One of the archers of the groups aimed his arrow right at Mitch’s head.

            “I’d tell your mate dat he better lower ‘is weapon, or my archer may just shoot the lad right in the ‘ead.”

Mitch knew we couldn’t risk any casualties against this cavalry and lowered his sword.

            “You cannot have him.” Mitch glared.

            “Who, dat small boy you call a prince? What could a man like me need from ‘im? All I could do was kill ‘im, but what will dat do for me eh?”

            “Then what do you want?” Garrett asked.

His eyes said it all when he looked at Garrett.

            “You.”

I held Garrett back; I thought of Jamille's plea and those hopeful eyes. I had to keep my word.

            “You cannot do this.”

            “And what, let Mariana stay in the hands of that man? I may not be as strong as you, your majesty, but I am strong enough to take this sacrifice.”

Garrett started walked forward as Jamille’s plea echoed in my mind: “Save him please!” I dashed in front of him and drew my sword in front of him.

“You are not going to sacrifice yourself like this, not while I am still alive.”

That’s when Garrett surprised all of us. He took the blade of my sword in his hand, letting the blood drip onto the floor. His eyes were fixed on mine, full of determination. I dropped the sword so he would let go. He looked to the surly group in front of him.

            “You promise that if I am to go with you willingly, you will free Mariana and let the others some time to flee?”

            “I’m a man of ma’ word.” The leader answered.

Garrett presumed walking forward as the leader tossed the girl and ordered her to walk to us.

            “Sir Garrett, turn back now! This is an order from your king!” I yelled.

            “My sister made you promise her didn’t she?” Garrett softly asked. I could not move, for he was right on the mark. He turned around to look at me.

            “Promise me this. Tell her I died; do not let her know that I may still be alive. If she knew I was still possibly alive, no doubt she would order you to come back to retrieve me. I cannot have any more bloodshed in this manor. I need your word.”

I tried my best to not let any of my emotions show.

            “I give you my word Garrett.”

He gave me one last reassuring smile before walking in the enemy’s hands. They quickly tied his hands before they started walking back down the long corridor. The leader took one last look at us.      

            “We’ll give you five minutes.” He sneered.

I quickly let Mariana on my back as I carried her out of the castle. My men and I quickly retreated back to the castle with all of the residents we could find.

            With our lack of horses and injured companions, we trudged back to the castle, finally arriving at sundown. Right when we entered the opened gates to our castle, Jamille and Azalea ran out of the doors towards us. I watched her eyes search frantically through the crowd. When she couldn’t find what she was seeking she sprinted towards me and demanded to know where he brother was. I dug through my brain to find a way to tell her that she may never be able to see her brother again.

            Her voice rang in my ears.

“How- how could you let him die? You were supposed to save him-you murderer!”

Murderer- I was a murderer. I allowed him to sacrifice himself. I guess in a sense, I was a murderer. That word, echoed through my mind. Only after realizing that I broke the training dummy did I wake up from my trance. I looked once again at the blood on my sword. I wiped it off with a cloth before I had a visitor.

            “Your majesty?”

I looked to who addressed me. I looked at the messenger boy.

            “What do you require of me?”

            “I have received orders to give you this letter.”

The boy handed me the letter before bowing and heading out of the barrack.

            The envelope was sealed with the official Kerton stamp. I removed the seal and read the letter inside.

 Dear King Christopher of Cardinia:

I overthrew this kingdom. Your precious kingdom is next.

-M.