𝟏𝟔 | 𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐜𝐤𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐞.

Start from the beginning

Ymir's voice took on a pleading tone as she continued, like she was trying with all her might to make Historia understand. "Just hear me out, okay? There's no future inside the walls! Life outside isn't as bad as you think. For starters, there isn't anyone telling you how they wish you were never born—"

"Well, yeah, I don't think Titans would say much anyway if they're too busy trying to eat me!" Historia argued.

"It's complicated! We've all got flaws! They're not so bad if you just give them a break." Ymir protested.

"Ymir! Nothing you're saying is making sense!" Historia countered, yelling down at the girl with visible frustration, "What did they say to you? You're doing this against your will, aren't you? They must've threatened you!"

The irony didn't pass over your heads at all as it grew silent for a beat. Bertholdt was the only one bothered enough to speak up about it.

"It was the other way around actually." He corrected, ready to tell his story of how he survived Ymir's nails.

Historia ignored his comment to yell down at Ymir again, "Ymir, just let me go! Whatever they've got on you doesn't matter to me. We can fight them! No matter what happens, I'll always be on your side."

Their touching moment was quickly disrupted by the sounds of hooves galloping against ground. Your stomach instantly dropped. The Scouts were already closing in on Reiner.

"Damn those horses are fast." You mumbled worriedly, looking behind you to see a group of Scouts dashing across the fields towards you. You couldn't tell who was who yet, but you'd know soon enough with how fast they were approaching.

"Look, Ymir. The Scouts are catching up to us now." Bertholdt pointed out, "If we hadn't stopped to get Christa, we could've gotten away a little faster. You forced us to do this. Remember that." Bertholdt was on the brink of tears as his voice grew more strained, "We waited and for what? Now you want to have a sudden change of heart? That's not fair, Ymir. Do you want Christa to rot inside the walls? Don't be a fool! Think!"

"Let go! Don't listen to him!" Historia countered, "Thats not true!"

"I can't!" Ymir snapped before she finally broke down. You could hear her voice crack as she talked, the defeated tone in her voice lingering, "I'm sorry sweetie. I know you think I did this for you.. but to be honest with you .. I did it for me."

Historia seemed confused at Ymir again, her eyebrows furrowing together before the latter continued, "A long time ago, I stole the power of the Titans from one of their comrades. Sooner or later, I'll be screwed.. But, they said if I cooperate and hand you over, maybe I could get a shot at getting pardoned ... You're important to the church because you know the truth about the walls, so I thought it was good to have a bargaining chip up my sleeve and keep you close. If I have to play dirty to stay alive, then I'll play dirty. Pathetic, I know, but it's what it takes for me to live ... I need you to come. Please .. save me!"

You shot Bertholdt a quick glance as he quickly did the same. Ymir's speech sounded so vulnerable and honest, you almost felt like you and him were supposed to cover your ears.

"Well.." Historia began tentatively, Ymir hanging onto her every word, ".. Like I said: I'll always be your ally." She gave Ymir a beaming smile to which Ymir nervously gave one back.