nine

【 S U Z U A 】

⌕ CHAPTER NINE:
秋天 | | autumn

The weather never brought up rain. Or maybe it did, and Asteria turned off the television before the reporters got the chance to bring it up. To be honest, it's probably the latter. The girl reached a hand out to feel water drip down from the heavens. Her palm facing towards the sky, trying to cup whatever little droplets she could handle.

Rain splashed onto her cap. The once white name-brand baseball hat now collected rain. There was a bright, visible smile etched on her face. Her eyes sparkling, despite the now cloudy weather. The enchanting Asteria with her eyes closed and her lips stretched into a thin smile, opened her arms out. Not only was her cap wet, but the rest of her outfit too.

What place in America rains in autumn? Apparently, Boston. The tips of her hair flowed with the wind. The way she twirled at the bottom of the staircase that led back to the museum. Everyone else was scampering around with jackets over their heads. Only a handful of people were walking under the protection of an umbrella.

Kit lifted the hood over his head to protect his new dyed hair from the rain. Maybe it wasn't such a great idea to wear thin clothing, especially in the chilled rain. He was careful when walking down the stairs. The shoes he wore belonged to Rhys. A size bigger than his usual footwear, but with a tightening of the laces, it was able to fit.

He saw the gleaming smile Asteria was known for. The girl he has been dating for six minutes, not that anyone was counting. Her hand reached out for him. A graceful look enchanted her as she stood under the rainy sky. Kit was surprised that it wasn't hailing outside.

"Come on, Kit. The rain feels wonderful." Asteria lifted her head towards the sky. The smile was still on her face as her eyes squinted against the water falling from the clouds. Her arms were now outstretched beside her. Kit slowly walked up beside her. He took her hand into his, pulling them down to her sides so she wouldn't accidentally bump into some stranger.

"Shouldn't we start heading back to Rhys' house? I think the rain is going to get worse soon."

Her eyes didn't meet Kit's. In fact, she ignored him and gleefully went further down the sidewalk in the opposite direction of the place they were staying at. He closely followed behind her. The sound of cars rushing through the wet streets passed by them. Kit made sure to walk closer to the street so if any cars drove in a puddle of water, he could block it from hitting Asteria.

Just like he suspected, with the speed the drivers were going, he got splashed with water four times. He had accidentally ruined Rhys' clothes. Kit couldn't imagine what the guy would say if he saw the condition of his clothes. Attempting to wipe the liquid off the clothes, he strolled up beside her.

Asteria's hands were clasped behind her back as she took long strides down the street. Many of the roads they walked down were narrow and buildings were being reconstructed. She pulled out her smartphone from the small purse wrapped over her shoulder. Her fingers began tapping on the screen. Kit managed to catch a glimpse of what she was looking at: a satellite map of some sort.

She glanced up at the street sign: Fenway and Park Drive. Asteria pointed in the direction of the latter. "There's a cafe close by that I've always wanted to check out. We don't have to stay in there for long, and after we get the drinks we can head straight back home. Okay?"

He shrugged his shoulders at her suggestion. A small glint in her eyes lit up when he accepted. There wasn't a bird in sight that fluttered under the rainy sky. They were all tucked away on high-branched trees, huddled close together. The two walked in silence toward the cafe.