Battle at the Fallen King's Throne

Start from the beginning

But the nightmare pokemon was prepared. Darkrai didn't hesitate as it launched its own attack in response. The ominous beam of energy crashed into Moltress' fiery attack, both pokemon locked into a stalemate.

As I looked closer, I saw that Moltress was slowly overpowering Darkrai. The dark type must still have been feeling the effects of its previous battle, still mustering up the strength to push forward when called on.

Moltress' attack pierced through the beam of ominous energy, crashing straight into Darkrai. The nightmare pokemon was thrust through a black stone pillar, smashing into the walls of the palace.

Yet, Darkrai still returned to the battle, shaking off the damage it had just taken. We exchanged quick nods, knowing that we needed to take the battle into our own hands from now on.

"Alright, use thunderbolt!"

There was no hesitation from Darkrai as it fired an electrifying bolt of lightning. Moltress was quick, evading the attack but we weren't done there. Darkrai didn't let up, continuously firing bolts of electricity, chasing the malevolent pokemon as it weaved through the pillars of the throne room.

"Enough of this! Overheat now!"

"Use spacial rend to counter!"

Moltress let out a terrifying screech as it launched waves of scorching flames across the battlefield. Darkrai pooled a sphere of glowing purple energy in its palms, firing his attack in response. Both attacks collided into each other, neither pokemon letting up.

Then as the orb of draconic energy expanded and collapsed on itself, a thick smoke cloud engulfed the throne room. I felt Darkrai's aura vanish, realising that it wasn't letting up its attack.

Slowly, the smoke cloud faded, the flaming bird hovering in the air patiently. The King didn't make a call, a serious look in his face as he had lost track of his opponent.

"Now Darkrai! Ice beam!"

There was no time for our opponent to react as the nightmare pokemon emerged from the dream world, firing an icy blast from close range. Moltress crashed into the floor but recovered quickly, letting out a piercing shriek.

"Finish this with hyper voice!"

The malevolent pokemon soared through the air, unleashing a deafening roar as it launched its attack. At first Darkrai was stunned by how quickly its opponent recovered but snapped back to reality before any serious damage was done.

I knew this fight was drawing to a close, both pokemon reaching their limits as the battle dragged on. I exchanged a knowing look with Darkrai, the dark type ready for anything.

"Alright, use thunderbolt to finish this!"

"Fiery wrath now Moltress."

There was a huge clash of power as an electrifying lightning bolt crashed into a blast of black flames. Both pokemon let everything loose, going all out to ensure their victory.

Then Moltress' superior stamina prevailed, its fiery attack ripping through the bolt of lightning. Darkrai's body had already been pushed to its limit, unable to evade the move in time.

The nightmare pokemon collapsed to the floor in defeat. I thanked the dark type for the battle, learning something that would help us for the future battles. As I returned Darkrai's pokeball to my waist, I saw one pokeball twitching with excitement.

A smile crossed my lips as I called out my next pokemon. The stealth pokemon emerged from his pokeball, eyes fixated on his opponent.

I looked across the room, seeing that Moltress was nearing its limit. So this was a perfect opportunity to test what Darkrai had shown me.

"Dragapult start with phantom force!"

In a split second, the dragon pokemon slipped into the shadow world, vanishing from sight. As expected, the King remained silent, raising his arm to call out his move.

Moltress flapped its wings, kicking up a powerful hurricane as it tore through the throne room. There was a moment where I thought the plan wouldn't work but I stayed confident, knowing that Dragapult knew what to do.

"Now Dragapult! Hydro pump!"

Just as the storm dissipated, the stealth pokemon emerged directly underneath his opponent. Moltress didn't have any time to react as a jet stream of water smashed into it directly. The malevolent pokemon crashed into the roof of the throne room, collapsing in defeat as it landed on the floor.

The King watched on as his third pokemon fainted from battle. Even as he kept a serious look in his face, I could see the surprise written all over him. He looked up as he recalled the fallen fiery bird, pausing before speaking up, "How did you figure it out?"

A confident smile made its way on my face, shaking my head in response. "And why would I tell you that? Now sit tight while I kick your ass, you overconfident piece of shit."

Dragapult let out a resounding cry in support of what I was saying. A determined grin spread across the dragon's lips as he waited for his next opponent.

The King lowered his gaze, his serious expression shifting to a smile as he reached for his next pokeball. "Hmph, you won't be so confident when I'm through with you. Your death is going to be all the more sweeter!"

With that, he called out his next pokemon. There was a clank as a heavy rock landed on the black stone floor. The odd stone vibrated slightly, giving off an ominous energy as a bright blue spirit burst through the cracks of the rock. The spirit's smile was sinister, its eyes swirling with anticipation.

Spiritomb was silent, its eyes fixed on Dragapult. Various glowing purple orbs circled within the blue spirit, the energy of the trapped souls emanating within the forbidden pokemon.

"Dragapult start with fire blast!"

"Foul play Spiritomb."

A wave of burning flames washed over the throne room, Spiritomb waiting patiently. Then, the spirit pokemon cloaked itself in a dark light, Dragapult's body giving off a similar glow. Withing a split second, the situation had been reversed, Spiritomb charging through the fire with surprising speed, crashing into Dragapult who had been taken by surprise.

Quickly, the stealth pokemon returned to the battle, shaking off the damage he had taken. Dragapult turned to me, nodding to show that he was ready to test out the plan again.

"Alright, use phantom force!"

In a second, the dragon pokemon vanished into the air. Spiritomb watched on silently, the glowing spirits swirling around its aura as it waited for a call.

"Now dream eater Spiritomb."

The forbidden pokemon didn't hesitate, cloaking itself in a bright pink light. In a second, Spiritomb had charged across the throne room, crashing into where Dragapult was waiting.

Before I could react in time, the stealth pokemon had been knocked out of the shadow world, crashing into a black stone pillar as Spiritomb fed off his vital energy.

"You never had the advantage Aaron. This fight was always yours to lose!"

At that, the King motioned to his chest, pulling out a midnight black chain. At its centre was a glowing purple and black keystone, glimmering in the darkness of the throne room.

"Now you'll see our true strength! Spiritomb, mega evolve!"